Funk/Dance gig, Help!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jnprather, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Hi all,

Well I just got an invitation to audition for some funk/dance/disco cover gigs in a friends' band and need a little bit of help. I was given a CD of tracks with a poorly written track listing (incorrect track names, no artist names), I spent a little bit of time working on them and figured out the correct artist/track names for most of them:

Con Funk Shun - Shake and dance with me
    Dazz Band - Let it whip
    Foxy - Get off
    Parliament - Flashlight
    Heatwave - Boogie Nights
    Kool & The Gang - Ladies night
    Lakeside - Fantastic Voyage
    Lakeside - Its all the way live
    Midnight Star - No parking
    Slide Base - This is how we do it
    Slave - Slide
    Sun - Sun is here
    Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl
    Whispers - Beat goes on
    Whispers - Rock steady

However, there are a couple of songs that I can't figure out... the written names are:

G.Q. Disco
    Groove Light
    So Rough, So Tough doesn't list and tracks with those names, so I don't think they're accurate track names. I don't know if any of you guys would be able to figure out the tracks from that, but it's worth a shot. Maybe I could stick up some clips from each song if I can't figure it out.

P.S. These basslines are gonna kick my a$$!
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Disco Nights(Rock-Freak)"- G.Q.
    G.Q. is the band...there were a few "One-Hit" blunders back then. Gary's Gang("Let's Go Dancing") is another that comes to mind; Instant Funk("I Got My Mind Made Up")is another.

Could "Groove Light" be "Groove Line"? If so, that's Heatwave(same band as "Boogie Nights").
    The Midnight Star tune is "No Parking On The Dance Floor".

Your list looks like fun & brings back some fond memories for me-
    "Shake & Dance With Me"-I especially like the gaps/spaces within that bassline.
    "Get Off"-That was one of the few tunes my '78 StingRay actually sounded "OK" on(kinda a 'metallic' tone ouutta my Music man).
    "Flashlight"-If I hadda play that today, I'd use my octave box. If you have one, try it!
    "Slide"-Cool...killer vocals if I remember.
    "Boogie Nights"-Love the pseudo-Swing intro.
    "Let It Whip"-Drop "D" tuning?

(What the HECK is Van Morrison doing on there?! Is that the token "Rock" tune or what?!) ;)