1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Funk DB players?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by RiseOfTheWooten, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Hi all, I originally posted this in the DB forum but received no replies:

When thinking about funk, BG players come to mind. Are there any prominent DB funk players out there?

The question came to mind when I went to see a blues/rock quartet play last weekend, with great funky bass playing by Roger McLachlan and his 5 string Warwick NT. I was just wondering if a DB player could've possibly done that kind of gig?

By the way the band I went to see was <www.souldigger.com.au>. Had a great time, great music, very funky blues/rock type material.

I also enjoy Gov't Mule's material. Is it possible for a DB or EUB player to cover that kind of gig?

2. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    There's a lot of funky stuff that herbie hancock did with ron carter on bass. Not straight Tower of Power style funk, but layed back jazz funk. Like on the "empyrean isles" and "my point of view" albums.

3. oh cool I'll check them out. anymore?

4. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
  5. i think chris mcbride has some stuff
    how about mmw? (chris wood)

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hub from the Roots lays down some very funky double bass. Especially the "Do you want more?!?!?!?!" album. Yes it is rap, but rap is mostly sampled funk... these guys create their tracks with instruments.

7. Check out the album 'The Philadelphia Experiment'. ?uestlove on drums, Christian McBride plays a very funky DB as well as some funky bass guitar too. Sadly the name of the keyboardist eludes me but he is very good as well.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Philly Experiment-
    Uri Caine is on keys(saying he is "very good" is an understatement) w/ Pat Martino on guitar.

I suppose some like The Bad Plus & even a band like Soul Coughing beacuse of the 'funky' URB.

John Patitucci, Dave Holland, Scott Colley, Ben Allison, John Lindberg, Tommy Kennedy, Trevor Dunn, Michael Formanek, Fima Ephron, Lonnie Plaxico, etc play some 'funky URB' when the need is there.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's definitely a looser style of funk, but Chris Wood of Medeski Martin and Wood plays some great greasy ostinatos on upright.

On the same sort of loose but funky feel, Soul Coughing has some great DB work.

10. thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to check out some of the suggestions here. I've heard of Medeski Martin & Wood but always thought they were a country&western band, their names kinda sound like it.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...thanks for the Monday early morning laff; Country band, indeed!
    ;)

If possible, check out John Medeski's album with the Torsos' "Fuse", Fima Ephron, & Gene Lake...Lunar Crush.

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    ...did I feel a disturbance in the force? :smug:

Another great example of Medeski, Sun's Anvil (Medeski/Jonathan Townes/Jeff Sipe/Neal Fountain/Count M'butu)... Killing album, very hard to find!

As for good Funk DB'er, Neil Starkey... from what I remember hearing is that he even played DB when he did a short stint with AWB... Killer jazz player and knows 1000's of standards, all in his memory!

13. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    The song MMW song "Chub Sub" has a great bassline to it.

14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.

Which country?

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It's a joke son. You gotta stay alert or you miss these things.

You might also want to check out Mike Formanek's first record and a couple of duo records by Steve Rodby and Ross Traut. The latter especially, they do some duo arrangements of Motown tunes that are pretty hip and Rodby NAILS that particular eighth note feel with authenticity and authority.

17. damn you, damn you to hell!! *shakes fist*

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    CSN&Y is Country & Western???? It's called "Folk" if you want to pull them from "Classic Rock" where I consider them.

On topic, Soul Coughing & MMW are what come to mind... but nothing here is really "funk". Lots of "Groove" mentioned maybe just "not swing" ;)

Maybe after a little while we can send this to the DB side to merge with what the DB players think :bassist:

19. Admittedly, I haven't heard much of their music either. :(

20. If that's the case, is 'funk' completely in the realm of BG players?