funk fingers!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jimbo, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey everyone.

i saw an old repeat of SNL today and peter garbriel was the musical guest. he was playing with the great tony levin and i noticed that he was playing with sticks on his fingers. i did a search here and found that those sticks are funk fingers (i love TB!). well anyway, i want to know if they are still being sold. and if not, does anyone have steps to make your own? i really would like to try those bad boys.

2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Tony used to have them made and sell them on his website but the company that was making them for him stopped.

I made some of my own in a VERY ghetto way once but they worked really great. I took two banjo clawhammers and flattened out the part that actually hammers on the strings. Then I took a fresh pencil (that's the really ghetto part...I was using only things I could find in my desk) and broke it in half. Then I wrapped one end of each pencil half in rubber bands until it built up a kind of mallet. Then I attached the claw hammers to each pencil half using an ordinary flat tack through one of the holes in each end of the hammer. Then I just slipped them on my fingers and had instant funk fingers.

You could also just buy percussion sticks (not drum sticks) and saw off each end to the right length. Then somehow attach (staple? glue?) velcro strips to them for attaching to the fingers. I feel it's also important to have some kind of rubberized surface on the end to make the strike a little less sharp sounding. You could use my rubber band method, which really worked well considering how easy it is, or you could buy rubberizing solution at a hardware store and dip the tips.

brad cook