Funk Fingers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by G, Nov 14, 2000.

1. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Does anyone out there use these at all? Where can I get a pair, or how would you recommend making a pair for myself? I have heard them on countless recordings, and wish to procure that sound for my own work. Any information would be appreciated.
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    You might try Tony Levin's website (sorry, don't know it offhand). Since he created them, I'm pretty sure you can start there.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think it would be just as easy to make them yourself. You just need some cheap drum sticks and something to keep them on your fingers. Cut the ends off the drum sticks and you could even tape them to your fingers with heavy duty tape - gaffa tape?

Or you could customise some rubber kitchen gloves - cut off the number of fingers you want and then attach them with superglue/tape to the chopped-off drumsticks.

Show some initiative! ;)
  4. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    I remember seeing Mr. Levin using those when he was playing for Mr. Gabriel on television a few years ago. At the time, I wasn't into bass (I probably didn't even realize he was playing a bass) and didn't think much about Funk Fingers or their impact on the sound.

Yesterday, I went to Mr. Levin's site and read the news that the Funk Fingers weren't being issued anymore. Now I have a new project! (Let's just hope I don't damage my actual digits with the Dremel.)

Last night I had a dream that I was playing bass using some homemade Funk Fingers and really enjoying myself. :) Freaky, eh?