Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk for Punks?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by nickis thebest, Oct 3, 2001.

1. about 90% of the music i play is punk, but recently ive figured out some cool funk lines from people like the Commodores and War. i wanna learn some cool funk, but since most of what i play is punk, im not really a very good slapper, does anyone know some fairly easy but cool funk songs? becuase this funk stuff is catchy

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    posted by: nickis thebest
    The music from my youth was much more than catchy, it is essential. You're on the right track. Don't study Flea, Les, or Ryeknow. Go to where they got it from. James Brown, Graham Central Station, The Brothers Johnson, etc. Keep studying the greats, and you'll be fine. There's a "Funk" thread on on here somewhere, check it out.
    BTW, if you want to learn a VERY easy funk song song, learn "Thank You For Lettin Me Be Mice Elf" by Sly and the Family Stone. It's also the first song to feature slapping on the electric bass. Larry Graham is a genius!:cool:

3. You could go with the best of both worlds and buy the first three Gang of Four records.