1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

funk, groovy music must effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Macher, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Macher

Macher

Aug 29, 2006
    Montreal
    I am fairly new to effects and want to work more with them. Mainly for my lounge band, my funk jams and anything that's groovy. The funk sounds of RHCP, Jamiroquai, Plaster, etc... I use a custom made bass, a MESA MPULSE 360, and have only one pedal; the EH Bass Micro Synthesiser.

I don't know where to start! Distorsion? Overdrive? Phaser? Wah? auto wah? Chorus? Mutron? Qtron?

What would be a complement to my Bass Synth? What's a must?

Thanks!

2. QTron+

3. Maybe something fuzzy would go well with your synth?

4. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    why qtron and not another fuzz envelope. just because of the sound, a lot of options...or what

5. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    fuzz envelope :confused:....

get a fuzz, envelope filter, wah, then phaser - in that order.

6. I would have thought you might want something significantly different to the BMMS. Since it deals pretty well with square wave fuzz, envelope filter, octave etc etc

A foot wah always goes nicely with the BMMS. You add an extra dimension by putting a wah after the BMMS that allows some really, really cool sounds - especially when combined with the BMMS square wave fuzz!

But, a good chorus can also make the sound of the BMMS come alive - I would perhaps recommend you look for a "detune" type chorus.

7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    envelope filter, fuzz/distortion pedal, and a phaser.

8. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    +1

9. Its a personal preference, nothing more. Get a Moog or meatball if you have serious cash - I have ye olde QTron - but am thinking of trading up to ... THIS

These things respond to sensitivity ie: the harder you play- the more they kick in. A big diff b/w the QTron ans the QT+ is the attack response switch (I think). I get the impression that the early models were designed for passive basses- so makes it a bit tricky for active players (anyone else get this?)

Another thing to look out for on an env filt. is an up/down switch to change from "OW" to "WAH". many just go "WAH". A lot of the Jamiroquai stuff goes down - have a good cranked up listen to Hooked Up off Emergency...

10. Macher

Macher

Aug 29, 2006
    Montreal
    I don't know if it makes sense for you guys, but having only one effect, it would make more sense for me to buy a fuzz and chorus, or chorus and Q-tron for the price of one larger pedal... no?

My first thought was to get a Q-tron, but how would it interact with my EH Bass synth?

What are your opinions on the EH small Clone and big muff for bass?

11. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Try it and find out! I've never combined the two.

You definitely need to do a search on each... they're probably the two most popular EHX pedals for bass! :p

12. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    The Q tron can be extremely cool after a synth. I used to use one with an Akai Deep Impact.

13. Macher

Macher

Aug 29, 2006
    Montreal
    I tried the Big Muff..... it was useless with my synth.

I also tried a Small Clone and it sounded really cool. niftydog do you have a particular detune chorus in mind? Might be worth trying.

I'll also be looking for a Q-tron from now on! It's a must. And than a phaser, a wah, delay, loop, flanger, echo, reverb.........!!!!!!:cool:

14. My favourite chorus isn't a chorus, it's the Boss HM-2 Harmonist! That's the kind of sound I had in mind when I posted. There are other options though, and I'm sure I've encountered a chorus or two with a "detune" setting... but can't think which ones. Sorry!