Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk instruction please

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Marvinisbass, May 30, 2005.

1. I am a college level pro bassist with 12 years of bass experience and I want to take my funk playing to a higher level. I have studied James Brown and Jamerson and am looking for resourses that teach intermediat and advanced level stuff such as tricky syncopation etc. Please note that I DO NOT want any tabb stuff as my reading is OK.

2. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Have you seen "Sight Reading Funk Rhythms For Electric Bass"?

How about Larry Grahams' "Graham Funk Bass Attack Video"?

Also, a couple of Josquin des Pres' books come to mind, but they're probably not as advanced as you're seeking. Namely:

"'70s Funk & Disco Bass" - ISBN 0634028561

"Classic Funk and R&B Grooves for Bass - ISBN 0757901042

3. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
  4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    yeah..George Duke is SERIOUS...haven't seen that video, though. I'll be on the lookout!!

5. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I ripped the three best tracks to mpg format; the band intro, "Silly Fightin'" & "Shine On!". I could put them somewhere for download, but they're pretty big; 16.8MB, 140.8MB, and 133.7MB respectivly.

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    hmmmm...wonder if Paul's hosting agreement would handle that?

7. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    What I meant to say was, I suppose I could rip them to mpgs and host them somewhere... ;)

lol

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: ... I remind my daughter that sharing is good!

9. Not to stereotype an incredible genre of music (funk bass!), but Dorian mode and funk go hand in hand.

10. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Not trying to judge or sound negative...but my recommendation for a bassist @ your experience level would be to make listening your primary source for referencing new and fresh material. Books an Vids are great, don't get me wrong, but you should be bitin' your lines off of CD's and seriously funky local player's live performances. Funks is a pretty broad term, if you can learn lines strictly by ear you can avoid limiting yourself and become solid player, fluent in all types of Funk..

Adding...your request was quite general and I am not to assume that you cannot learn basslines by ear, but to get beyond the level you are currenly at, learning by ear is probably what you need to do...

11. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    What enlighted me to funk was George Duke "Follow the rainbow" with Byron Miller on bass. This is such a great album!!! This is on George's site posted earlier on this thread. BTW, thanks for the link!

SB

12. Get the rhythm book Modern Reading text by louis johnson which has tons of syncopation rhythm reading which will help
    Another is listen to Tower of power which has rocco prestia has some groovy stuff but there are tons of others which I'm sure you have come across