FUNK/JAZZ(-fusion) 3 new pieces. Please listen and review

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Whoopy, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Where can I buy your cd?

3 vote(s)
  2. Me like :-)

9 vote(s)
  3. It's allright.

7 vote(s)
  4. Not my thing.

3 vote(s)
  5. Man this sucks!! :-(

2 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Whoopy

Aug 2, 2005

How are things?

Project Alpha ( actually that's me) has started to bring out work. The first reviews were encouraging but the project is looking for more feedback. Hence I post this message here as well to ask you all to take a moment and go listen and give your opinion/feedback.

My question is also in what style this music should be fitted, is it modern day jazz, fusion, funk, lounge, new age or what?

I play all instruments one can hear, record and produce all things myself, no samples used in the music.
    Accept maybe a drum machine which I programmed myself, played the pattern in live so to speak.
    I'm a bassplayer originally and not a real solo player on keyboard for excample and I find there is room for that still in my work. Trombone maybe in the first piece.
    I think I still have to learn much so any help is welcome.

If you are interested please go and listen at:

I put three pieces there.
    The top one called Soaring Eagle I just finished recently.

Thanks in advance and with kind regards, Project Alpha. :D

It don't mean a thing if the bass isn't in!
  2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Awesome, funky groovy bass work mate!

I love how you made the slap bass lines fit in without sounding boring or overbearing... keep up the good work!
  3. Whoopy

Aug 2, 2005
    Hey Erlend,

Gee man thanks!!!
    I really appreciate this! :D

4. Whoopy

Aug 2, 2005
    Hey , :hyper:

Perhaps anybody else besides Erlend here to review my mp3's?

I would appreciate it indeed.

With kind regards, Whoopy. :D
  5. jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    Frankly I love "Between Amsterdam & Marrakech" and "Deep Down Under ( Tsunami's coming)". "Soaring Eagle" didn't click until I went back and listened to it again. Your basslines fit the music and work seamlessly, IMO.

I might call this style "mellow house" as it has a danceable groove and a great late night vibe. Whatever you call it, it hooked me. Also made me wish for a rainy day and a hi-end stereo to enjoy it on, maybe a nice bottle of red.

Peace. :)
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Very nice. Sounds like a P bass or Alembic... What bass is that?
  7. jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    "I play all instruments one can hear, record and produce all things myself, no samples used in the music."

Okay, Whoopy, I didn't catch that the first time around as I misread the thread title as "FUNK/JAZZ (fusion) 3 piece". I think I was tired. :oops:

Now I'm even more impressed.

Peace. :)
  8. Whoopy

Aug 2, 2005

Thanks man.
    I'll buy you that bottle of wine :D
    High end stereo will be too much strain on my budget I'm afraid though, hahahahaha!
    I mostly plug a good headphone in the speaker-jack of the computer.

Okay you said Mellow House, that has a nice ring to it, good suggestion.
    It is in fact night music, I was and am busy with it mostly late at night when all are asleep so to speak. Accept the occasional poetic soul.

At the moment I'm listening to good music and an interview Courtney Pine ( a wellknown British jazz musician here) had with Marcus Miller in his BBC radioshow Jazz Crusade. Wanna listen too? Go to:
    For good music and the interview with Marcus ( at approximately 1 hour and 23 minutes into the show), I got the link myself from Marcus Miller's board. A good place.

I thank you for your comment on my bassplay, it is my main instrument.

Good talking to you.

With kind regards, Whoopy :D

9. Whoopy

Aug 2, 2005

How are you?

I used two basses.
    For the pieces Saoring Eagle and Between Amsterdam & Marrakech I used my Sandberg Custom 5 string Special.
    A German bass:

But instead of de Music Man type pickups of Delano I got Bartolini's. Two of them placed together on the body.
    And mine has a Birdseye maple top on a mahogany bottom.
    And I use, on top of that, an outboard Sadowsky preamp (the old type) to play through.

For Deep Down Under I popped on my fretless. Allthough it hard to hear (sorry it was my frist attempt on recording) it is one.
    That one is also German. Its a Marleaux Consat 5 fretless. The actual bass I owe is to be seen at

The wallpaper of the fretless which is downloadable there is a picture of the actual bass I have/play.Very light in weight.

Alembic is incredible too indeed. You play one?
    And if so which one?

10. Whoopy

Aug 2, 2005

Thanks man!!
    Thanks indeed.

When I say no samples I'm not judging those who do use them.
    I guess I'm just an old fashioned one maybe who likes to put something personal in every note.
    Did use a drum machine but created the patterns myself.

11. Really nice work. I particularly like the slap line on "Soaring Eagle". The whole song seemed to flow really well and the bass line linked everything together really nicely. I'm not sure if I would call it funk though. I'm not really down with all the different genres, but it didn't quite fit in with my understanding of what funk is.

I didn't enjoy "Between Amsterdam and Marrakech" and "Deep Down Under" as much as I did "Soaring Eagle". Those two tracks seemed a bit too experimental for my taste - when I listen to jazz/fusion it's usually more mainstream stuff. Your work is still impressive nonetheless.

Good work :)
  12. Whoopy

Aug 2, 2005

How goes it?

Gee man, thanks very much.
    I'm really thrilled to receive this positive feedback from fellow bassplayers/musicians. :bassist: Aspecially since people here are the toughest critics.
    It really gives me courage to carry on whenever some bassline or melody will pop into my head in the time to come.

To call Soaring Eagle straight out funk goes to far I think as well, but what than? JazzBasta called it "Mellow House" That sounds good to me. I had the beginning of the slap ( first four measures)and worked out the rest from that point. Starting with the drum pattern.
    One thing occurred to me though if it is so hard to pin a label on my music I might even have produced something fairly original, or do you think I go to far by putting that?

I hear myself say it and not believing it at the same time.

Whether or not someone likes it is of course a matter of taste and that can not be judged or discussed fortunately.

Thanks for your encouraging words Disco_Gee!

With kind regards,Whoopy :D

13. Whoopy

Aug 2, 2005

Does anyone else here use Cubase SX 2 for their recordings by any chance?

14. Whoopy

Aug 2, 2005

Since Cubase is apparently not popular here, what are you guys using for recording ?

I hear Pro Tools is used often too.
    Anyone hear of that one?
    And if so which of the releases is considdered the best one?

Regards, Whoopy :D
  15. Whoopy

Aug 2, 2005

I would like to hear if maybe someone could give me advice in any faults I might have made with my recordings or perhaps how to improve things.
    Either that or maybe point me to your own work which you might have made with Cubase SX 2 (preferrably) or another type of Cubase. For comparison and I'll review it too if you would like that.
    Don't worry I won't nag after this request no more about it.
    I just can't imagine I'm the only one here using it.

Another thing I would like to learn is how to get exposure, where to look who to write to and send a cd maybe. There are friends of mine who advice me to go in that direction
    But how to go about the approach in achieving that?
    And are my songs good enough for that road?

I would really appreciate some hints and/or advice on some of those questions, if it's not to much to ask.

Thanks in advance, Whoopy. :D
  16. jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    Yes. I assume you will only get better, but what you offer so far I find to be very sophisticated. I keep returning to your music and want to tell others about it. 5-6 more cuts of similar quality will make a very interesting album, IMO.

I don't wish the music undustry on you, though, so hopefully you can find enough contentment in connecting with a niche audience through independent means. Family is more important than music, and the biz is expert at destroying people and their families (all in the name of "art" :eyebrow: ). You say your wife "puts up" with the music (Radio Indy site) so I say, put your wife in the music somehow. It might spark something new between you :hyper: .

I think Cubase must be good because the quality of your recordings is good as far as I can tell. I do think having your music professionally mastered is essential for CD release quality.

Your music recalls the Art of Noise for me. In fact, I would say that your music demands Trevor Horn-like production quality since it is about soundscapes.

Good production quality, great graphic design to create an identity (See ZTT records, Bjork, Steely Dan, Cocteau Twins, New Order under Peter Saville, etc) and your tunes = cool album. Music that won't sell millions of albums :bawl: , but music that will get under the skin and have a quieter, longer lasting impact than all the flash-in-the-pan crap we're subjected to these days.

I'll buy it when it comes out :bassist: .
  17. Whoopy

Aug 2, 2005

How are you doing?

Thanks man, I'm working on it thanks to encouragement from people like you.
    I'll keep trying.
    ROFLMAO!! Good advice!! :D
    Yes you're right. I'm sticking to Cubase for a spell. To let it be mastered at a "professional" studio will cost......much. So...... Well you know.
    The Art of Noise I have heard of , cann't recall their music though, I'll have a listen. Soundscapes, yes I think that is what I try do to.

Thanks man, I do learn from all feedback. At least try to.
    On the site I put my music on it now has landed in the top 10. Never thought that would happen.
    I have some ideas for a next track, I don't know however when it will be ready...when it is I guess.

18. jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    If you want to hear the upper limit of killer production and concept album, try their The Seduction of Claude Debussy.
    Also try Propaganda's A Secret Wish. And last, but not least on the production angle, I have to recommend Steely Dan's Negative Girl as a track that is sheer perfection sonically and bass-ically (Tom Barney on bass). Gotten a lot of mileage out of that one lately.

All IMO, of course. :D
  19. Whoopy

Aug 2, 2005

Okay I will see what I can find from The Art of Noise and the other one.
    I'm a big fan of Steely Dan, by the way.
    I also thought Nightfly from Donald Fagen was very good.
    Still play that record/cd a lot.
    Cann't recall Negative Girl immediately but I will dig it up somewhere and have a listen.

With kind regards, P-Alpha. :D
  20. Hey,

That's all about very good stuffs, nice use if slap in the first one!
    Man, record all with musicians to get a "hotter", "warmer" tone" and it will be perfect..
    Just my opinion, not criticizing, you're doing it very well!

Keep doing it and let us know if you do a CD