Funk Machine by Seamoon

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AndyGL, May 16, 2002.

1. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I broke out the old "Funk Machine" stomp box the other night at a gig. It was made in the 70's by Seamoon. I found it in one of my old boxes of stuff. I remember Felix (of the Young Rascals) brought it to one of our rehearsals in NY and gave it to me. He said, "Andy you gotta check this thing out". I used it a few times and then through it in a box. Now 26 years later, I find the box. And what a surprise. Ive never seen one before or since. I have know idea where he got it. I think it's some kind of envelope filter. Anyone else got one of these wacky things. A very cool retro unit. and....Very funky!

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'm interested in acquiring one of these. Anyone know where I can get one?
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I know ALOT about them :D!

Its an envelope filter, and to be quite honest, as rare and as coveted as rocking horse ****e. It worth at the very least $550.

We're really talking here a more coveted envelope than the meatball.

If you want ill pm you the addy of a guy who knows alot about them, and may jsut want you to part with it ;) (and its NOT me!!!)
  4. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    There's a schematic for it over at, from the looks of it maybe $4 in parts...few more bucks for box, jacks, n'stuff...I've wanted to build it ever since I ran across the schem but haven't gotten around to it. How do you stack it with other envelope filters AndyGL? The circuit I'm looking at only has one control, Drive? Now I wanna put it together!
  5. Tiffany Borrine

Tiffany Borrine

Jul 21, 2004
    You should try the Pignose 30. It has a funk switch for the bass and can be used either as a preamp or as a battery-powered practice amp. The sound is too cool to describe. Very funky. I was in guitar center trying to describe the effect. The best I could do was "BOWMP!" Throaty attack and quick decay. Fantastic funk.
  6. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Thanks for the schematic link. Looks like a piece o' cake. Is that really a 40006 transistor? Boy, had to reach 'way back for that one... Fortunately, I just happen to have a supply of those. Around here somewhere. If I can find 'em. :)
  7. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah? Could ya swing a couple my way if'in they materialize, Mouser is showing a NTE95 sub for $12 a piece!!!!
  8. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep. Drop me an e-mail. l'm going to breadboard the circuit this afternoon to make sure I have the right transistor. It doesn't look all that critical at that point in the circuit, probably could use a 2n2222 or some such thing. We'll see what works.
  9. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Ya know, I'll do the same and just pick thru all the NPN's in the drawer...
    We should compare notes once the breadboards are up and running.
  10. abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Hey, did you guys ever get your circuits working?
    Were the replacement transistors successful?
  11. lamkelf

Dec 2, 2005
    Hi guys,

Has anyone figured out if replacement resistor works for the circuit? The schematic reads "40006 "M" 251" transistor which I couldn't quite figure out. Another question is in the top part of the schematic does the "5M" represent 5M ohm trimpot? Sorry for a newbie question. Thanks!!!!
  12. meinerst

Nov 25, 2009
    Hey guys,

Same question.

I'm building one of these bad chickens for a circuits project at school and can't seem to find that transistor that I need anywhere. You guys said there was a potential replacement for like $12?? I'd love a link to where I could purchase one of those. My circuits grade is depending on it.
  13. You could use an NTE95 but seriously if your 'circuit grade depends on it' maybe you should make something with a tested schematic that has readily available components.
  14. chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    NPN with an Hfe os 250max. NTE parts are almost always too expensive. An NTE 778A, wich is a 5532, went for over 3.00 each at my local shop!

Try 2N2222, 2N3904, 2N4401, 2N3392, 2N5551......
  15. Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Wow, talk about a zombie thread!

Still, The Seamoon Funk Machine is one of the Holy Grails of envelope filters.

Very cool.
  16. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    for being such the filter junkie that i am, this is the only "rare" one i haven't tried.

i'll have to get one of these and try it out.
  17. chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Good thing : It's a simple enough circuit you could perfboard it.
  18. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i bought one new in the mid 70's (it was an early one with the plastic case). i loved that pedal. i think that i still have it but i just have to find it!

if i can't, i'm going to try to build one from the geofx schematic. does anybody have the 40006 transistor?
  19. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member should make 2.
    1 for you, 1 for me. ;)