Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk Metal

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassduder, Jun 30, 2002.

1. bassduder

bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    Hello, I'm looking for some old school funk metal from the 80s or early 90s. I think these days the term is usd loosely for bands such as Korn...hey, just becuse Fieldy can make percussive notes on his bass, does not make it funk...That's besides the point, but anyways I'm looking to get into stuff similiar to the Chilis, Faith No More, Fishbone, etc.

"By The Way" can anyone give me any good songs by each band because I don't have the money to go out and buy albums, so yeah...

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Try the Infectious Grooves. They are basicly Suicidal Tendencies with one different band member(singer? I don't remember). Get Fungus Amongus by Incubus, a lot of that is pretty funky. Specific songs you say? Try "Rules Go Out the Window" and "Violent and Funky" by the Grooves, "Psychopsilocybin" and "You Will be a Hot Dancer" by Incubus. Hope I was some help.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Mind Funk is a great band. If you want a good song to check out their's, I suggest a tune called "Touch You".

4. bassduder

bassduder

Jul 30, 2001
    Canada, GF-W
    i was familiar with all posts with the exception of mind funk.

is anyone familiar with living colour, i hear they are good?

:cool:

5. Infectious Grooves is almost the same as Suicidal same singer, drummer, bassplayer (s) and sometimes the same guitarist. They have used some guest musicians though. Infectious is almost just Suicidal playing funk, great band though.
    Also try Living Colour!

6. living colour kicks major ass. check out the album vivid and basically all of them if you can find them.

also check out nuclear rabbit for some good bay area funk metal.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    <font size=7>24-7 SPYZ!!!!!</font size>

Every SPYZ song is great - they always kicked Living Colour's booty, but the New Yorkers(?) were more popular in Europe/Germany than in the US.

Killer live band too, bassist Rick Skatore even filled the bass position for a Bad Brains tour.

IMO the best and most original/creative funk metal band ever.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Glad to see Living Colour being mentioned.
    A specific song is "Funny Vibe" from Vivid...

9. A-F*ckin-MEN on the Spyz.

D-Y-N-O
    D-Y-N-O
    D-Y-N-O
    GRANMA

Valdez...Spill, spill, spill...

Dont Push Me....

Dammit that band is why I play music

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    When you get the chance check out the bassist T.M.Stevens group called Out of controll it is some of the most serious MetalFunk you can come across all of his CD's are imports from Japan.check out his sight at tmstevens.com

11. SNOT!!!!
    Funk metal, the kind of band I want to start, though no guitarists wants to because the guitar isnt hard. Not too funky but funk enough

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm thinking about starting a true "Funk Metal" with the funky bass notes and grovy drum, think, ryknow bass parts, and more funky drummer, with a metal guitarist....... nice.....

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  14. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    24-7 Spyz. Absolutely. Living Colour. Hell, yeah. Infectious Grooves. Right on.

Some other worthwhile bands that may not be strictly funk-metal, but who definitely have some funk-metal sensibilities:

Shootyz Groove

Psychefunkapus

Mr. Bungle

Urban Dance Squad

Primus

Rage Against the Machine

Jane's Addiction

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    These 2 are the EPITOME of funk/metal:
    A song called "Psychologically Overcast" by Fishbone
    And a band out of Boston called Rippopotamus. They are sick!!!

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rippopotamus plays out here a lot, at least they used to. Cool band. they did the Umass spring concert when it actually existed and didn't suck. Fishbone are the kings.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Rippopotamus? Funk-Metal?!

The cd I have by them has more of a Liquid Soul vibe...

18. Groove Family Cyco by Infectious Grooves (the song and the record)

All of Fishbone's 1st 2 records

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    JimK: I've got some bootleg struff of theirs, and they're definately funk/metalish on it. I'd like to hear some of their smoother stuff.

20. StevieHimself

StevieHimself

Sep 10, 2008
    Ramsey, NJ
    DR Strings rep &amp; Ibanez endorsing artist: Steve Bello
    My picks for funk-metal:
    Living Colour (hell yeah!), Fishbone, 24-7 Spyz, TM Stevens (BAD ASS TO THE MAX!!), Xavion (anyone remember them?), Jane's Addiction (they could get quite funky!)
    And, as an honourable mention: there are some songs by The Time that have some ripping guitar work from Jesse Johnson. Check out "Skillet" and "Blondie".