Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by triggert, Feb 5, 2006.

1. triggert

triggert

Feb 5, 2005
    I need some good funk music to listen to. Please suggest some CDs or maybe just some specific songs.

I'm currently listening to Sly and the Family Stone - Fresh.

Thanks,
    Trigg

2. Cloud_Connected

Cloud_Connected

Jan 31, 2006
    Sweden
    Anything with Victor Wooten will do. :bassist:

3. klamaz

klamaz

Aug 8, 2004
    Virginia
    Honesty, there isn't a whole lot of music by Victor Wooten that I would really call "funk". Some of it is "funky", but very little is straight "funk".

Check out guys like Tower of Power, George Clinton, Parliament, Funkadelic, Bootsy, all the rest of that gang. Earth Wind and Fire has some great stuff as well. And, of course, you can't forget James Brown.

4. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'd definately check out the Meters...simply amazing

5. Tower of Power

James Brown

6. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Check out Maceo Parker's Life On Planet Groove.
    Anything by Tower of Power (one of my favorites is In The Slot).
    If you can find a compilation called the In Yo' Face - The History of Funk which is a five disc set released on Rhino, you'll get a good taste of all that old funk.

7. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    George Porter Jr. is awesome!
    If you like the Meters, you'll love the Neville Brothers. "Live on Planet Earth" is fabulous - Tony Hall on bass. It's at least a dozen years old, but still kicks ass. My fave is "Sands Of Time". Also their album "Walkin' In The Shadow Of Life" (I think it's still their latest), with Milton Davis and Ivan Neville on bass. Ivan Neville also has a band called Dumpstaphunk. I haven't actually heard it, but could it NOT be funky?? Gotta be!

8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    all these bands are good, and if you really want to go on a trip check out infectious grooves. Kinda funk/rock/metal, and their awesome! i can't stop listening to them, Trujilo is amazing!

9. Don't worry, there will be another next week. :smug:

10. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    'Chunk'... thanks for that 'search' list. I will be checking out 'Live on Planet Earth', as you suggested way back last October...

...I'm working on my bandmates to get with some funk, as I used to play it way back in the '70s. Anytime I hear it, other than when I'm playing some of my own collection... I just get all warm and fuzzy inside! God bless George Clinton and Bootsy... gotta have that funk! :D