Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk, R&B, and Jazz Cats, what's your rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Mar 7, 2006.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I am interested in the rigs (amp and cabinets) of those bassists who play funk, R&B, and jazz. What are you playing currently? Are you satisfied with it? If not, what rig would you rather be funkin' on?

thanks

mark

2. Hello. I guess I fall into your category! My primary rig is an Epifani410UL, a Thunderfunk550(a) and a Celinder Update 5.

I really like this rig because it is very, very lightweight, loud enough for any gig, very quick and articulate, and very 'tough' (no tubes to worry about getting jostled around in the truck, etc.). It produces a very tight low end... not big, but more punchy and quick, and the treble response is very good for that 70's J 'new roundwound string' sound. I REALLY like this rig.

For gigs that are 100% jazz-type gigs at low volume, I use a Bergantino HT210S with a Walter Woods Ultra... very warm, rather compressed low end and a very 'soft' treble response... perfect for jazz on the EB.. and it has a very small footprint for those small stages.

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I'm currently playing through a fender bxr 300 head and an ampeg portabass 12. This setup sounds pretty good and is light and portable. That's important since I'm a college student without a car, I can take the bus to gigs. That being said, I'd much rather have a tube setup like a fender studio bass combo. Or those ampeg b15 tube amps would be nice.

4. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    I play a variety of music, but my love is jazz and funk.
    I use an Epifani 502UL and an Epi 410UL or 2-112UL's. I also have a WWU-High Power, but it pretty much stays at home. The Epi 502 has a lot of back bone to it, you can feel it all over the stage and projects real well with the 410 or 112's also. It's deep, full and warm low end with articulate mids and smooth high end. I play a Fodera Emperor 5 and a 64' Jazz with TI flat wounds. Ken's alot like me when it comes to our Epi 410. :smug: Alot of jazz cats that I know like the 502 with 112's. The 410 covers all types of music and venues I play.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've played through almost everything for over 40 years. For the past 2 years I've been using a Mesa Walkabout Scout combo. It has the best sound of anything I've used in the past and the head can be removed easily to power larger cabinets. Amazingly powerful little amp. You wouldn't believe it's only 300 watts.

I wouldn't change it for anything.

6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I use a Hartke 3500 with an Eden D210XLT for most club settings, with a Hartke 410/115 at times. The Hartke head is okay, very plain vanilla sounding (which is what I'm actually looking for, I rarely mess with the EQ other than to adjust for room weirdness). My basses are 6 & 7 strings, fretted and fretless.

I've been toying with getting an AI Focus or Clarus, and that'll likely happen sooner rather than later. The AI stuff is extremely clean and that's what I need. The only effect I use is a Boomerang looper ...... :cool:

7. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I don't play much jazz anymore, but my main gig is all Funk, R&B, and Disco.

Fender Jazz & Fender P ---> GK 1001RB-II ---> Schroeder 1212

I'm a happy boy with this setup.

8. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My main gig is R&B/funk and jazz, and I also play gospel. I've used SWR heads for the last few years, but I just got the AMP BH-420. I also have an Epifani 310UL (thanks KJung!)

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I may be a anomoly here but I like using my Trace V4 w/ a schroeder 1210, and my fretless 4 string for jazz. I find that eque'd to my likes I really dig this rig, and like the sound of tubes.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    updated rig, see profile

11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    interesting. keep em coming

it seems like the majority use either eden, or some solid state gear.

I'm somewhat surprised there's not any aguilar or ampeg gear being mentioned. Thoughts anyone?

12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Check my sig or my profile.

13. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I bet it has to do with the weight.

I know I shy away from aguilar and ampeg because I'm looking for something I can carry in one hand.

14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
  15. 75 p-bass through a fender studio bass 200 watt tube head and an avatar 15...now that's the funk----:bassist:

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    GK 1001RBII 2x10 combo w/ GK 1x15RBH cab under it :bassist: :hyper:

17. Tune TWB63 --> Ampeg B2R --> SVT 410HLF

I will be switching to this rig soon, hopefully, though:

Tune TWB63 --> Eden WT head --> Aguilar GS112 --> Avatar Delta 112

18. I use Aguilar GS 112 cabinets for funk. I like 'em because they fill the room with a creamy bass sound. It stays below the band, gluing the sound together. Amp is Thunderfunk (which is clean yet solid, and the enhance knob can throw in a little tubey lag & compression), and bass is Pedulla Rapture J2 (super jazz bass, kind of aggressive sound) although I might go to a straight Fretless Fender Jazz sometimes. Each cab is 40 lbs, amp is 7 or something. I tried the Aguilar head, and found it too dark for my needs.

I'm not talking about Brothers Johnson funk where the bass is all attack, but more like Herbie Hancock funk.

On real jazz gigs, I play upright, through the little AI Contra.

19. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yamaha BB605 with Bartolini electronics and Yamaha BB414 stock, SansAmp Programmable BDDI, Boss TU-2 tuner and CEB-3 chorus, AI Focus SA power amp and Bergantino HT112 cab.

20. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I use an Aguilar 680/728 with a GS410. For smaller gigs, I use the 2 GS112s and my DB359...For more traditional jazz in small settings I use the 359 with a Bag end 210