1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Funk/Rock Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by joesum_uk, Mar 26, 2013.

1. joesum_uk

joesum_uk

Mar 26, 2013
    Hi, completely new here and completely new to effects. I was just wondering what type of effects would sound good for slap and pop funk/rock styles? Stuff like Primus and other Claypool. I'd also like to know what effects are used in Funk Milk by Stone Sour if anyone knows?

2. Les Claypool has used a pretty wide array of effects, although he usually plays pretty clean. I also don't have speakers here at work (I'm on a break), so I can't hear Funk Milk right now. As such, I don't know how helpful my post will be, if it's helpful at all.

Here's a typical and versatile set up that lots of funk players use:

Bass ===> an octave and/or synth pedal ===> overdrive and/or fuzz ===> envelope filter ===> amp

There's variations on that, and some synth pedals (like the the EHX Bass MicroSynth) have a variation of all three. Some prefer a wah pedal or another filter type instead of an envelope filter/auto wah. Also, some will toss a phasor after all that and maybe delay. Others prefer a distortion pedal, but I think that's a bit rarer for 'funk,' and 'funk' players typically go after OD or fuzz.

However, the core of an octave pedal to a fuzz or OD and then into a filter of some sort like an envelope filter. I'd suggest getting used/cheap versions of each and seeing what you like before dropping real money on pedals. Alternatively, you can get one a bass synth pedal or a multi effects pedal that have all three of those.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

3. joesum_uk

joesum_uk

Mar 26, 2013
    Thanks very much! I'll have a look for some of those things and give them a try. At the minute I'm just using a boss me-20 (I started on guitar) and I'm not getting anywhere near what I want from that.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    On first listen, the only effect I hear on "Funk Milk" is a touch of chorus. Other than that it sounds like new SS strings being slapped with a very mid scooped EQ.

Claypool has always used fuzzes and filters (sometimes multiples of each stacked together) and occasionally octavers and delays.

However, a lot of his basic sound comes from his odd string gauges and obviously his attack.

5. joesum_uk

joesum_uk

Mar 26, 2013
    Oh right, what string gauges does he use? And what are SS strings? Like I said, bear with the new guy haha

6. SS strings = stainless steel strings; in a discussion about slapping I would say almost certainly roundwound stainless steel strings.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I can't say for sure but I believe Claypool uses Blue Steel XLs so that would be .040, .055, .075 and .095. They might be the Nickel plated ones. Either way, he's always used light gauge strings.

SS = Stainless steel. They are a bit rougher on the fingers and harder on your frets than nickel rounds but they will give you that bright clang.

8. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    Q-Tron, Bass Synth, VT Bass Deluxe (overdrive/distortion)

9. Don't worry about being 'the new guy.' We all were the 'new guy' once. Places like TB are great resources to help you get to where you want to be musically faster. It really helps to ask questions, even if you think they are stupid. Maybe they are stupid, but I guarentee you that NO great players got to where they are now without asking stupid questions at first. It makes me think that someone should start up a thread about stupid things we asked or did as padowan bassists....

Back to your original topic... Alot of typical 'funk' sound comes from an envelope filter. It'll sound funky in your bedroom, but alot of times the funk sound will get lost in live/rehearsal situations. Putting a fuzz or OD in between your bass and the envelope filter will make the filter pop, and sound that much more funky. That's a good place to start for a funky sound - fuzz or OD into a bass guitar specific envelope filter.

Bass specific ones usually work better then ones made for tenor (typical) guitars since the bass guitar envelope filters are low-pass envelope filters. Envelope filters for guitar sound great on guitar, but many are 'band-pass' filters and will make your bass sound like poop. Pop or poop - your choice!