Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk/Rock tunes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mcbassdude, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Hey kids in TB land,
    I'm looking for some suggestions for some Funk/Rock tunes.
    Now we all know about "play that funky music" "Higher Ground" "Love Rollercoaster" et al

Any others? I'm trying to infuse a little more funk in a rock cover band I'm in. We do a "Play That Funky Music/Jungle Boogie" medley that seems to be our biggest number as far as the dance floor. I also play in a Funk band so I know lot's of Funk tunes, but I need stuff that the rockers I work with will be down with.

I'm listening....

2. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    It may be pushing the limits of the whole rock thing a bit but some early Stuart Zender era Jamiroquai might just do the trick. Album wise, Emergency On Planet Earth, Traveling Without Moving but most of all Return Of The Space Cowboy are good, funky tunes. Personally, I find The Kids, Mr Moon and Scam to be good tunes to play (from Return Of The Space Cowboy). Traveling Without Moving the track is also very good.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wouldnt call that rock,heh but its funky/jazzy.

4. I totally dig Jamiroquai but I gotta come in with stuff that these "rockers" won't get squirmy on me with, stuff like Jamiroquai and Brand New Heavies etc. ain't gonna go over with these cat's (the bastards).

Whats a good Living Colour tune other than Cult of Personality?

5. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Cover a Motown hit or a rockabily tune....maybe some early Social Distortion

6. I dig Motown, but that's more Soul than funk and I also dig Social D, but Funky? Hmmmm....

7. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    James Brown???

8. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Mothers Finest!

9. Which tune(s)?

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    We used to cover "I Want To Know"...IMO, maybe more Rock than Funk.
    I have seen a local Funk/Rock band cover "Solace Of You"(Carribean-feel) as their 'slow/middle-of-the-set' tune.

Earlier, you mentioned The Ohio Players & Wild Cherry-
    "Fire"-The Ohio Players
    "I Feel Sanctified"-Wild Cherry...their 'other hit', funkier than their big hit & almost the same!
    (And definitely more fun for the bassist).
    ;)

11. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    "Free Ride" by the Edgar Winter Group is a sure fire funk/rock concotion.

12. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Well, saying that Motown isn't Funk could provoke a whole other discussion. However, here are some fairly mainstream suggestions (caveat: a bunch ARE Motown). These are tunes Classic Rock folks will generally find palatable.

Shakey Ground - written by some unliklies like Don Henley and Elton John or somesuch, and covered by the Temptations.

I Wish - Stevie Wonder

Heard it Through the Grapevine - CCR did it. You can get the Rock guys into it and then start throwing in some of the Gladys Knight lines.

I Shot the Sheriff - Clapton did it. Using Marley's Reggae line is great, but it doesn't get over with some crowds. It's pretty easy to put a Funk back beat to it, and makes it more palatable.

Nasty Habits - Tommy Castro - has enough SRV flavor to it, that it gets over, but has a nice backbeat.

Tightrope - SRV, so the guitarists buy in - you can get away with putting a bit more of a funky eight note feel over it than TS used; I think he was going for a less is more on the recording.

Come Together - the Beatles, one of the all time great bass lines, can be really funky

Most of these can elicit lots of grins between drummer and bassist during performance. There are a lot more, but I hope that helps.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    And The Stones covered The Temptations...damn, drawing a blank on the title, do recall The Stones dropped the Key down a 1/2 step(to "B" vs. "C").

...and covered by the Brothers Johnson on their debut album.

14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Agreed. This is all Covers; nothing new here.

15. Earth, Wind, and Fire.

(I know; tough without the horn parts, but workable...)

Average White Band
    Tower of Power

16. Living Colour- "Funny Vibe" "Desperate People" "Memories Can't Wait" "Which Way to America?" from the album Vivid.

"Time's Up" "Type" "Elvis Is Dead" from the album Time's Up.

"Ignorance is Bliss" from the album Stain.

Fishbone- "Bonin' in the Boneyard" "Freddie's Dead" from Truth and Soul.

Funkadelic- "Hit it and Quit" "Super Stupid" from the album Maggot Brain.

17. Duh!! Superstition... you can trick them by doing the Stevie Wonder version when they ask for Stevie Ray Vaugh!!

Randy

18. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Middle Man

19. I wanna thank you falettinme be myself.........