1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

funk settings for my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Strat11786, May 31, 2002.

1. i have a fairly cheap amp (Peavey Basic 112) which has as far as eq low, low-mid, high-mid, and high knobs. does anyone have any good settings to get the best slap tone, like fleas, that i can get? thanks

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Cut the mids boost the lows and highs.

3. This is the standard answer, and IMO the wrong one. I always boost my mids ~400hz, helps to punch through and give some depth and body to my tone. If I do the standard-issue "funk smiley face" EQ, I feel like I disappear in a mix.

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    In addition to what Gard said, because that's a good answer, is this: is your bass any good? If so, try a flat amp setting. You may be supprised how much a good bass compensates for all the EQ a low end one needs. I found this when I got my G&L. Now I just cut treble and boost high mids (750--800hz) each slightly and tone's all in the hands and pup selection.

Just my thoughts...

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Those are good points. However I think you'd have to take into consideration the quality of gear. (kinda what MontyP was saying.). I 've found on most small combos (other than pro ones) that the mids aren't great to start with. Especially on lower end peavey's I think they are colored a little funny.

Also he said he wanted to sound like Flea, and flea sounds pretty scooped to me. Listen to "Higher Ground". No high mids what so ever. Maybe some low mids though.

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    You also might want to try switching strings. Newer sets tend to be brighter, and sound better for slap IMO.

7. Chris...

Uh...guess my Demeter/Eden rig ain't got a good tone without doing some drastic EQing, hm? :rolleyes: ;)

Maybe it's my Zon bass that's lacking? Or my handmade 6's, that were built by the two guys that were Mike Tobias' first crew.

Or the fact that I prefer fairly fresh stainless steel strings??

As for the Flea comment, it's easy to have a scooped bass tone and make it work if you're in a studio with an engineer mixing and EQing things so that it works, but in my experience in the real world mids are very helpful in live situations. If that scooped tone works for you, more power to ya, but I have a feeling that Strat will find the tone he's looking for in his mids, not by getting rid of his mids.

8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Very true. Plus, Flea has rarely used a scooped tone, and even on higher ground he doesn't go for the "smiley face EQ". It is a nice comprimise... People should figure things like this out for themselves, but I really don't mind helping.

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    What is that supposed to mean? That has nothing to do with what I said.

1)I didn't know eden was made by Peavey. I said on alot of low end amps the mids don't sound so hot, and I like to cut them a bit to get rid of the honk. You said you like to boost your mids! Thats the opposite of what I said! I boost the mids on my amp to sometimes (not for slap), but it isn't a small combo.

2)Where did I say ANYTHING about basses?

3)Where did I say anything bad about Steel strings? I agreed with you! I said I like fresh strings!

The only thing I said different than you was I don't like mids on small combos. Just b/c I disagree with you on one point, you attack me? Is this how you treat your customers? :rolleyes:

10. I kinda got the same impression as Chris when I read Gard's last post--Unless you're saying your Eden setup is like a crapy combo, because that's all Chris was talking about.

Cutting mids can help give you a nicer, more pleasant sound, and take out not nice sounding tones, but as Gard said, it's not going to help you on stage.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    I like alot of highs, and a good boost in the low mids. punchie, and cutting. like a machette.

12. Chris -

My apologies, I misunderstood your post. Now that I've re-read it, I see how you meant what you were saying. I thought you were trying to say that your opinion would be applicable to any amp/bass/string combination. Plus it was a long day and I'm cranky ;). Oh, and hell no I don't treat anyone badly, check around TB and see what people say, I'll go to great lengths to get things right for customers!!!!

I still think you're wrong though, cutting the mids isn't the answer, everytime I've done that in a BAND setting, I get buried. Sounds great sitting in a room by yourself, but in the real world it don't work. The trick with mids is to find the right ones to boost, there are "honky" mids, and then there are "punchy" mids. Gotta find the punchy ones! (Which to my ears are ~400hz)

13. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Ok, no problem.