1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funk sextet (only 2 horns : Tpt & Alto Sax) looks for pieces suggestions

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Phr014, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Hello All here is my first post.
    I hope I chose the right sub-forum

I'm playing in a band with trumpet, alto sax keys, drums, guitar and bass and we need to expand our set lits

Our playing level to be assessed by yourself through these few vids

After having lost our tenor sax and found a new alto player, we look after songs and/or instrumental pieces suggestions matching with these 4 criterias :

The new pieces should / must:
    1 Be consistent with our core set list (see below)
    2 Be compatible with a reduced horns section ie Tpt + Alto Sax
    3 Make stomp, move dance a wide spectrum european audience (not just funk aficionados )
    4 Be either instrumental or sing-able by our part time singers : The drummer and the guitar player may sing while playing their instruments

• Shake Everything You Got / Uptown Up / Gimme Some More / Pass the peas / Cold sweat - Maceo Parker
    • Superstition / I Wish - Stevie Wonder
    • Squib Cakes - Tower of Power
    • Sledgehammer Peter Gabriel
    • Brick House - The Commodores
    • Pick up the pieces - AWB
    • Cissy strut - The Meters
    • Have a Good Time - The Brand New Heavies
    • Too Young To Die - Jamiroquai

Do you have any tunes suggestions ? (rather pieces names than just artist names)
    Thanks in avance

mike o and Amano like this.
  2. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand

3. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Get the alto player doubling on baritone. Can't beat those scoops. Keys player can double the horn hits/lines in the tenor sax range. It all sounds real trebly to me and wants more bottom end (not more bass, but the "low mid range").

As to repertoire, I'd look at the old Louis Jordan tunes for a starting point. As long as you stay away from the grindy guitar-solo tweedle stuff, almost any pop-R&B-dance tune of the last 50 years can have a horn section added to good effect.

4. 2000TA46032

2000TA46032

Aug 1, 2018
    Nice to see someone covering Maceo Parker.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

as intrumentals (your own arrangements, of course!):
    down and dirty - rick braun
    the chicken - jaco
    grazin' in the grass - masekela/others
    cantaloupe island or cantaloop (us3)
    memphis underground - herbie mann
    uptown up - maceo parker
    flirt - mindi abair
    pick up the pieces - candy dulfer

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

:eyebrow: Whew! Well, me coming from a straight funk and R&B background........I would say y'all need to be tighter. It's obvious who doesn't have any funk experience/chops. If you're going to play this music, delve deep and feel that groove. Your set list is a good start. The only thing I feel is lacking is the groove. Seems really loose. Keyboardist is way off and bass should be played a bit more staccato. Lock in with that drummer.

When I joined my current band, it was clear (still is) that 99% of them have zero funk/r&b chops and they mostly read as opposed to actually listening to the recording and trying to 'feel' the music. Can't do it that way. Funk can't be written down. Has to be felt and heard. When y'all get really tight, you'll see and feel the difference.

7. Thanks for those who already answered : your feed back killed several birds with the same stone : Pieces suggestions, advices for individual/collective playing improvment, arrangement tricks for a horns reduced section

For all new readers , feel free to tell us your opinions/advices on our playing (do no hesitate to precise the related instrument)
    You already guessed I'm the bass player
    It will help us to get better groove that is as essential as adding new pieces to our set list

8. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Your drummer and you need to work on getting tighter. It seems like he's lagging behind you too much - good funk should "pop" the beat.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Came back to listen to the 2 other tunes. Those sounded much better than I Wish. Have your drummer listen to the JB's drummer some more. I can't stand a loose hi-hat. And have him tighten up that snare. Needs that snap/pop. He's got to drive it hard and right now he's just laying back cruising'. Have everyone listen to each other instead of just playing their parts.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021