Funk/Slap Sounding Ibanez Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tcbassist, Mar 22, 2011.

1. tcbassist

tcbassist

Mar 16, 2011
    Ibanez basses..

I know they are not the most highly respected basses vs. Fender, Music Man, Warwick, AKA

(I know that may not sit well with some people)

But I want an Ibanez nonetheless, they are 24 fret, high playability and some pretty great sound.

If I was going to get one, I would need to definitely have those 24 frets and a great funk slap jazz sound. What bass would you get for these specs?

Thanks for looking

All Opinions and Responses welcome below

2. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I've played a LOT of Ibanez basses. One thing I can say for sure: Stay the hell away from the Bartolini MK-1 pickups that they put into the SR and BTB models. They're not bad pickups at all, in fact, they're quite warm with some proper EQing. But, they're pretty lacking in character from my experience, and that's something you want with a slapping bass.

I'd look to the ATK line if I were in your position. Those MM-style pickups get some great tone. And if you like a little wider neck (like a P or Stingray), they'd be perfect for you.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The oft-cited problem with Ibby's isn't that Ibby''s are bad - is that it's very hard to keep track of which model is which. Their lowest end models are firewood (as is the case with most companies) and their upper range models are nice - in fact, if you can get past the made-in-China thing (which I, sadly, cannot) they are a great value. But just try to keep track of the model numbers... Yikes.

I could not recommend a model of Ibby that's good - but they are out there. Anything over $700 means you're either getting utterly ripped off *or* it's a higher-end nice instrument. But you really, REALLY need to play one before you buy it. Talk about *mass* production - they crank these things out, so some are nice, some not so much.

Good luck.

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  4. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    Can't speak for the ATK series (although seeing that they're the Ibanez take on a MM-type bass, I suspect they're appropriate). I do, however, own both a SR and an SRX.

You don't want an SR for slap. The string spacing is very tight (16.5mm at the bridge for a 5-string), which is great for fingerstyle but makes slapping uncomfortable and dirty (it's very easy to hit the wrong string), and the pickups need to be very close to the strings to sound appropriately. Then again, with sufficient skills, you can overcome those limitations (e.g. YouTube - C4:RnL - Bass Fishing (FULL Bass Performace) -- 6-string SR slapping).

The SRX, however, is great (disclaimer: mine is a 725, which is noticeably higher-end than the models they have in production at the moment -- alnico pickups, neck-through construction, and nifty inlays -- stay away from the current SRX line, they're low-end and have nothing of what made the SRX nice in the first place). The neck is a bit chunkier and slower than the SR's (then again, I have yet to play a bass neck that's as ridiculously fast and easy on the left hand as the Ibanez SR), although still very playable, but the strings are farther apart (18mm at the bridge on the 5-string model), which makes for easier slapping. Plus, the neck pickup on my 725 gives me a great, slightly vintage, growly bright tone when I solo it and apply some treble boost.

...and since I seem to be the only guy in the world to use that bass, I can't find Youtube vids. Which, admittedly, doesn't matter that much because Ibanez dropped most of the SRX line this winter. :/

5. Nobody

Nobody Inactive

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
  6. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)
    Ibanez ATK for sure, but it doesen't have 24 frets.

7. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    exactly. Great tone

8. I own a ~2007 ATK and a 1998 SR400. They're worlds apart in feel but they both are great for slap.

9. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    The BTBs have MK2 pickups and I find that they work fine for slap, but I am no expert.:D

10. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Inactive

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why are having 24 frets important to you?

11. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)
  12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Some of them did; I think the '90's 700 and 1300 series had 24 frets.

13. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    The BTB770PB is superb, 24 frets, Mk2 pickups with excellent EQ, lovely neck, perfectly balanced and fantastic looking burl poplar top, side by side with far more expensive basses it is just as well made IMO, I tried a few others before buying mine and it did not disgrace itself amongst £1K rivals !

14. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Another vote for ATK. I'm getting a killer slap sound out of it.
    I generally like 24 frets (just a preference) but made an exception with the ATK, and am glad that I did.

15. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    2000ATK700ATK1300.jpg

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021