Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk, Soul, and R&B

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by heavyJams, Apr 4, 2002.

1. I live in the Nashville area so I get to go see the Wooten brothers perform every wednesday night if I want to. In case you don't know, Reggie taught Victor and the other guys how to play their instruments. Anyway, these guys play a lot of funk, soul, and jazz greats. Can anyone reccommend some good albums (compilations and greatest hits would be good) that I should get that fit well in this genre. I love the stuff they do. Thanks.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    the envelope filter or auto wah...

maybe a mu-tron

:rolleyes:

this should be in recordings... I think

I don't know what type of stuff they do... so I'll just give you a quick list of stuff I like

Mandrill
    Curtis Mayfield
    Sly & the family Stone
    Meters
    Earth Wind & Fire
    Graham Central Station
    etc

3. you're right it belongs in recordings...

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Funk/Soul/R&B/Jazz: There's a broad topic!;)

I'm sure you'd like the Neville Brothers albums-
    good stuff on "Yellow Moon", "Fiyou on the Bayou",
    etc. Besides their own playing, their band always kicks a**

There's so many great artists- try some Sonny Rollins for jazz ranging from straight ahead to funky-
    everything he's done is worthy of listening to...

Soul- I'm gonna be obscure 'cause there's so much I hope you'll be turned on to- Ernestine Anderson has a cut called "Jazz Street" that is so solid.
    and while I think of it, Johny "Guitar" Watson & his band had a little soul, too.

OK there's a start....

5. Where in the Nashville area do the Wootens perform? Just in case I'm ever in the area- I've already missed seeing Vic play twice!

6. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Try any of their albums- sick bass playing and arrangements!

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Any soul or r&b collection should include some albums by the following artist IMO:

Marvin Gaye
    Temptations
    Sam and Dave
    Wilson Picket
    Otis Redding
    Aretha Franklin
    Gladys Knight
    Al Green
    Donny Hathaway

Any funk collection should include some albums from the following (again IMO):

James Brown
    Sly and Family Stone

8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I have just gotten into listening to some funk. Well, Jamirioquai (sp) at least. Some of the bass lines are pretty cool so im learning some of his stuff. What are some other good FUNK peices to learn?

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [What are some other good FUNK peices to learn?

Start with the guy the invented the damn thing. James Brown. learn the classics:

Sex Machine
    I Feel Good
    Make it Funky
    Super Bad
    Poppa's Brand New Bag
    Get Up Off that Thing

Jeez, the guy has been at it for 50 years and he's still doing it as good as anybody. I saw him last summer and he'll still kick most a##.

My $.02.