1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Funk/Soul Rig help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chewi Manilli, Sep 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chewi Manilli

Chewi Manilli

Aug 9, 2012
    Hey everyone,

I am making a drastic musical change, going from a typical classic rock cover band to a funk/soul band, and I need some suggestions for a rig to accommodate this. I'm in my mid 40's and am looking for something powerful, but lightweight. I was thinking G/K head with a Barefaced cab...?? Whaddya think?

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    What is your rig now and why won't it work for the new gig?

3. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I am sure the GK/Barefaced would work fine but what you already have may work just fine to. I recently heard a great soul band and the guy was using a p-bass and an old SVT. It sounded awesome.

lomo and lz4005 like this.
  4. Chewi Manilli

Chewi Manilli

Aug 9, 2012
    The rig I use now belongs to the bandleader in the classic rock band, don't think he'd let me use it in the new band lol...

I do have an old Peavey Mk VI, paired with a 115 cab of unknown origin. Heavy as sin.

5. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I think. . . . I wish I was in my 40's again. . . . !!!! Looks like a good move to me.

I play this stuff, well most genres except metal, and I use an Aguilar TH500 and 2 Barefaced Super Compacts. My basses are a Mike Lull PJ5 and a Sadowsky Metro Jazz RV5.

I've got zero GAS with this line up.

rodl2005 likes this.
  6. Chewi Manilli

Chewi Manilli

Aug 9, 2012
    You've got a formidable arsenal there! Thank you for the advice!

7. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    If you like the sound of your Peavey, use it and get a Fearless F115. If a lighter head is in order, Mesa D800, or the plus version would kill through the F115

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I've been playing this kind of music most of my life, and, imho, it's more about the playing than the rig. I've used all kinds of rigs, but, if push came to shove, I would opt for something with 15's.

rodl2005 likes this.
  9. I like the warmth of good all tube amps. .. but. ..if ya don't wanna go there. .. the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 with one or 2 GOOD 15s will cover almost any gig.
    Light AND great sounding are both the Mesa Subway 115 and the Fender Bassman Pro Neo 115s - the latter of which I've got 2 of. I pay funk n soul and they work wonderfully. One for small gigs. .2 fer loud loud.
    They're punchy feckers... I did a gig last weekend with just one Fender Bassman Pro 115 and in a function room with 250 ppl I needed no help from the PA

10. what type of funk soul? late 70's disco slap pop stuff? or 60's james brown/stax/motown stuff? or early 70's?

there's not one funk soul sound, there are many . which are you

11. Chewi Manilli

Chewi Manilli

Aug 9, 2012
    All of the above, plus some Neo-Soul. I'm pretty new to the whole genre actually.

12. Chewi Manilli

Chewi Manilli

Aug 9, 2012
    So now I think I've narrowed it down to either the Aguilar ToneHammer 500, the G/K MB 500, or the Mesa Boogie D-800+, with a Barefaced SuperTwin cab. That should more than suffice for my rig, now I just have to learn how to play this stuff!

13. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    The Peavey Mark VI was actually a helluva amp in its day. I had A Mk 3, Mk iV, and finally Mk 6 back in the late eighties. The Peavey 2x15 w/ Black Widows was pretty good too. Back then, bigger was better, and a 250 poubd rig was a badge of honor.

But yeah, Barefaced Super Twin with an MB500 or so would be great... I'd suggest possibly going GK MB Fusion 800 for the amp but MB500 is good too.