Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk Sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nirvanarules28, May 21, 2001.

1. nirvanarules28

nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    I was wondering if there are any certain effects used to get a good funk sound. Im not gonna use funk lines in with my band much, I would just like to know how to do it for fun. Its good to play stuff outside your band for fun, just for enjoyment. :)

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What you need my friend is an AutoWah. Bass Player gave the EBS Bass IQ some good reviews, and it's not that expensive.

3. You need an envelope filter to get that super chill aquatic funk sound, you know the vowel like sound? It is super funky... try mutron, q-tron III, the dod envelope filter, and the EH bass balls, for just fun I would suggest the bass balls cause it make a really ill funk sound.... and the price is like a third that of the q-tron, and a fifth of a mutron.... the dod is alright, but when i tried it I would not get it to do a heck of a lot, the bass balls is not a lot different, but it has built in distortion that works really well with the envelope...

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    :Rumblings From the Funk God:

"SO! You wish to know about the funk...this is good. First you must learn the BE the funk. To Begin...repeat after me!....I feel good, owwwww!...no, no, not like that at all. Hold out the ow!... No, higher pitch!... NO NO NO; forget it, go, leave, out of my sight... No, you can't come back... No, leave! Leave... YOU THERE! Get outta the House that Funk built. You heard me sucka! Funk off!" :D:D:D

Sorry....been on a bad Funk binge for the past coupla days..:D

5. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    What you NEED is a Stingray

6. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    But the P Bass will do nicely too. Think "Car Wash"

7. nirvanarules28

nirvanarules28

Mar 7, 2001
    I already have a P bass, and Im gonna get a Stingray sometime. I dont have an Autowah or a Bassballs pedal, I think I'll go get em. Thanx

8. Try an autowah or a octabass.

9. ENVELOPE FILTER

I was given that Flea master sessions video. I heard him playing through the DOD Fx25. 3 weeks later I bought one. The ultimate in funk sounds.

Buy an envelope filter.