Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk triple slap prob!

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by fleafan, Feb 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have got a pretty mean slap technique that incorporates the right side of my right hand (pinky knuckle) and a speedy double slap with my thumb making a constant triple slapping sound my plucking over that triple creates a awesome sound. But I can’t keep up with the likes of Mark King and Victor Wooten only in their plucking grooves. Any tips to speed up the pluck?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Vic may be relying on his double thumb technique for speed, ie. using his thumb like a guitar pick to play both upstrokes and downstrokes.

Mark just relies on raw speed. And he only uses two fingers.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    First, I know Vic would tell you to develop your own thing and dont worry about the comparisons - and would have to agree, but that should not stop us from trying.

It sounds like you've got a great technique going and I would love to be able to hear it as well as watch you do it.

I have 2 tips for you:
    1. Develop your efficiency. Your right hand should move as little as possible to strike the string. The more dramatic you are with your playing the longer it takes to get the next note sounded. Keep the hand as close to the strings as possible and move them as little as possible

2. Develop the slap move using my drumstrick technique. It is easy and quick and you can find it at the lessons page at my site: http://www.michaeldimin.com. Check out 5 minutes to slap. Although it is based for beginners, do the drumstick exercises it will really help to develop the muscles to play more efficiently

Mike

4. Thanks alot Mike

will do!

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why is it that slap is "always" funk? Most slap isnt funky...in the least bit!

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Angus-
    Funk is all about groove. Funk is a style - there are many ways to achieve it, fingerstyle, with a pick, thumb or slap. Some great players did it with slapping like Louis Johnson. Rocco and Jaco with thier 16th note "popcorn" is as funky as it gets. George Porter, Jr. plays with his thumb. However you can make the groove happen is what it is all about.

Mike

7. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    very well put mike,like my boy boosty said funk is also on the one.yea just because one can fire off triplet's machine gun style doesn't make them funky,
    go back and listen to some old school FUNK like parliament/funkedelic and boosty then tell me how much slapping & popping you here.funking is feeling.
    now don't get me wrong I love to slap my lakland but I can get just as funky fingerstyle.FUNK ON.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nonono Mike, you misunderstood me, completely! Sorry!

I meant that whenever i hear someone slapping something stupid, they say "Im playing funk," and that angers me, because its never funky! Look at the thread title for example "Funk triple slap pop;" what made this in the least bit funky? Notice almost all threads that ask about slap mention something about being funky, and that many funk threads ARE about slap. The two are always intertwined, yet in the "real" world are almost never paired together.

I wasn't asking about funk, i was simply stating the fact that i hate that many people "assume" that to slap some notes makes you funky, when usually it doesnt. Turning my nose up at beginners who think slap is always funk and funk is always slap, which is NOT true. I personally feel that finger funk is much better than slap funk; especially since the latter is hardly ever done well.

BTW, Rocco is one of my favorite players.

9. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    now i'm with u angus.funk on baby bro.

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I with you. But fleafan might be very funky - just cause slap it doesn;t mean it ISN'T funky.

Check out BAss Day some time - all these kids with a ton of technique and absolutely no musicality, slapping themselves silly. (Remember to bring earplugs)

Mike D

11. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    hey flea fan,flea earned his soul bro card a while back,like will lee,but anyway however U choose to use what god gave U just remember to keep it funky,
    flea would also tell U to check out some p-funk and
    this group called weapons of choice,the leader/bassist Lonnie Marshall is FUNKY as **** and he NEVER EVER SLAPS,him and flea are homeboys.rocco is a straight up o.g. funkster,
    finger style only,one bad cat.

12. ok ok sorry!

i just grew up with the word funk used in conjunction with slapping! i automatically associated it with each other. But even though this little triple slap of mine still falls under the margin of funk, because i use it as the off beat (aaah flip its hard to explain) i give the songs i play a off beat groove, kinda like a rusta song with a twist!

i considerate it funk (using a slap riff)

im very very sorry if i made you mad with the title of this post Angus!

i shall post a song of mine to proove it

watch this space!!

13. this one is not to "Funky" it lacks in the groove feeling but it is that stupid triple slap that got me in all this **** in the first place!

14. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Nah, funk is all about big afro's and weird keyboard effects.
    :)

15. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hey Starr
    If you ever in LA and you see the name truelious discracies go check it thats the whole LA 80's scene hangin and playin pfunk tunes and james brown
    lonnie marshall playin bass his bro arik (who played whith the chillis on the lollapalooza tour)plays guitar norwood fisher fronts the band angelo plays sax and flea plays trumpet fish on drums fun time
    hope they still do it

16. "Nah, funk is all about big afro's and weird keyboard effects. "

funny you say that i started this thread and check out my pic

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Ok, enough already - with that pic, I have no further choice but to ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.