1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Funk Wah Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BioSore, Apr 8, 2006.

1. BioSore

BioSore

Jan 30, 2006
    Minnesota
    Alright, I know this topic has been done to death, but.. the search didn't come up with much handy information. I know there are a ton of wahs out there, but I don't have access many (at all) to try out before buying. I was thinking about a Morley Dual Bass wah pedal (PBA-2) but I seem to be finding mixed reviews for it. What do you guys use for a funky wah pedal, and why?

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dunlop 105q, one of the better funk wah pedals. Good for all types of music, actually.

From what I hear, the Morely's are best for rock.

-Dash

3. another vote for the 105Q that has one of the better sweep ranges i have ever used :)

4. Stingray_Man

Stingray_Man

Mar 5, 2006
    I bought the 105Q Crybaby and I wasn't all that impressed with it. I use a Music Man Stingray and it has bright sound, the wah didn't sound as i would expect for a bass of that quality. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

5. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    Ibanez's Weeping Demon is also one worth checking out. Solid construction and tweakable sound.

6. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    +1on both the 105q and WD7

7. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Did you try lessening your treble before actually playing? Any bass can be bright unless you turn down the treble and push the mids a bit more, that's when your Stingray comes to life.

8. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I'd stay well away from the OLD Crybaby (the original crybaby bass wah). Terrible range, has the old click-button way of switching on, removes all your treble and cuts the volume!

You have to be superhuman - as you click it on, you have to boost your volume and treble while still playing! I sold it within a few weeks.

9. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Agreed.

I bought one of the regualr Dunlop wahs a couple of years ago and I was convinced that it was broken because I had all the problems you described. But I bought a 105q and haven't had any complaints yet.

Has anyone tried the Snarling Dogs Bootzilla wah? I've read some pretty positive reviews on harmony central, but I was wondering if anyone here had tried one.

10. I wonder if one of you 105Q fans could answer me this;

What happens if you want to set the pedal mid-sweep and leave it there with the effect running?? Does it rely on motion to keep the effect engaged, or does it only turn off when the pedal returns to the "home" position? Obviously you would need a steady foot and a fair bit of patience to hold it there!

The problem I've had with most wah pedals is that at the peak of the filter sweep they distort. The boosted frequency band goes right off the scale and clips - even at mild settings. This generally only happens with my Stingray as it is capable of almost 9V peaks just by itself. I have a solution, but just thought I'd mention it so you can look out for it.

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I had the Dunlop and the Morley side by side last Sunday at a GTG. The Morley is slightly honkier and sounded better than the CB when distortion was added. The Dunlop sounded a bit better dry and brighter when drive was added. Try both and let your ears decide.

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    That's why it's better to get a wah with Q and volume controls. Believe it or not, I only set my wah's Q to about 50%, otherwise it sounds honkish. As for the volume, I have mine full on (bassically boosted a little :bag: ) just to push my English Muff'n that much harder :bassist:

13. It depends on the circuitry. I have a WH-10 that has a "level" control. It actually affects the mix between dry and wet. Trouble was, the filter comes before the mix knob in the circuit, so no matter what setting you had it on, the thing always overloads. All the knob does is vary the amount of crap you get at the output!

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't tried the Bootzilla, but the other Snarling Dogs expression pedals are the "breaking-est" pedals I've seen. Everyone I have spoken to that has one, it either is broken or was broken and then fixed.

15. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    in fact the 105q has a tiny switch in the heel of the pedal, so no real magic in the auto bypas mode!!!

so when you leave the pedal static, it remains ON

16. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    One thing that does tres annoy me about my 105Q is that slight delay between taking your foot off and the bypass, and despite the fact it's just a matter of tweaking the circuitry, it's probably something Dunlop should really address.

17. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    It is kinda annoying, and they shouldn't have it on in their stock products, but it's a very easy fix. With a screwdriver and five minutes even the most non-technical person can adjust the internal trimpot a bit to turn this "feature" off... So I don't really hold that against it too much.

-Dash

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm really quite a fan of the old blue Morley PBW Pro Series II Bass wah, much better than the current dual bass wah IMO. The Dual Bass Wah sounds a bit honky to me, but the blue one seems much warmer.

19. Just to add another pedal to the equation....

Try out the EBS Wahone, played one the other day, buying one next week. I have owned both the 105q and the Morley PBW Pro Series II and it is just so much better than both. Better range than both the sound is much more tweakable.

It can also be used as an envelope filter and volume pedal.