Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk Your Brains Out!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rickbass, Aug 14, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you love funk and haven't checked him out already, give a listen to Danyel Morgan, (bassist for Robert Randolph and The Family Band).

Click on the sound clips, "I Need More Love" and "Squeeze" under "Audio Player" at http://www.robertrandolph.net/ .

They're NASTY! "I Need More Love" automatically loads and "Squeeze" has a bass tone that beats your brains in!

2. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    WOW! I need more love is amazing. That bassline's incredible, not just for the playing but for how it fits in with everything else. sweet.
    ...and a six-stringer too. Don't see too many o' them in the real world.

Good stuff Rickbass.

3. rickbass

Glad you like it, Ciaran.

The guy's control is just amazing to me. Love his brute tone on "Squeeze."

4. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Yes!! When the bass kicked in on Squeeze I was like this --> :bawl:

Love those guys! Thanks Rickbass :)

5. rickbass

Yeah, it started out deceptively wimpy in the intro, for me, Grygore.

6. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Bass playing is just freaky!! And the way they use a pedal steel, very cool! Got to get me some of that. :p

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Im very familier with Robert Randolf. I love the bass player but Robert Himself is for me, on another level that guy is truly Scary good.

AJ

8. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Those guys are great! Glad you brought them up Rick. I saw them on Letterman a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't believe they were there. Morgan is a badass bass player and was slapping the fire out of a Modulus that night. I wish more people were hip to them. :cool:

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Very cool. I really like the bassline of the fist song that loads. It really sounds great with the rest of the music.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    That tune is new to me it sound kinda P funkish not what I was expecting. I havent heard them in a couple of years but they were what if Hendrix met Gospel (wait that is Pfunk no I mean really gospel old school throw down stomp you feet style ) sound with a great live energy.
    They were just bustin out then, everone played sitting down.

Anyone chatch any of "the Word" shows?

AJ

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I actually hadda do a double-take on this thread's title...

Good one, Rick!
    ;)

12. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I just caught Robert Randolph and the Family Band at an outdoor concert in downtown DC last Saturday. The stage was set up right in front of the Capitol Building, and they were incredible. Danyel was slapping the hell out of a six string Modulus, and he can sing, too. Robert Randolph's playing is just out of this world.

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I picked up one of their older albums used recently. I dig it.

14. rickbass

Glad you dug it, Jim.....sort of like vindication of my taste since you are about the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to recordings.

15. This happens to be anout the only band I missed at the 10,000 Lakes Festival and I guess I didn't know what I was missing. Thanks for bringing this band up guys...I'm downloading a ton of their songs right now, any suggestions or favorites?

16. Hey there Rickbass, I just noticed that you're from the midwest. Did you happen to catch 10,000 Lakes?

17. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I checked out the samples of their songs I Need More Love and Squeeze then I ran out and bought their Unclassified CD. Killer stuff! Danyel Morgan is a bad mofo on bass. They sound like a Sunday morning revival meeting with Jimi Hendrix and Living Colour thrown in. Good Stuff :hyper:

18. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    my brains have been splattered out the back of me head! arrghh!!

man, that stuff's killer! :D

now I wanna be in a funk band dammit....

19. rickbass

Only saw the ads, unfortunately, Mike.

Superb bill.....wish I could have made it. Evidently, you made it......who knocked you out there ?

20. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks Ric,

I love the Funk, and that Funk kicks.
    Great stuff.