Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How do I make a riff sound funky, without having to resort to slap and pop?
    Many thanks.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Syncopation and feel

Also, knowing when *not* to play, some(most) times, the funkiest line is also the simplest.
  3. A heavy downbeat on the kickdrum, locked in with a tight downbeat note on the bass, knowing when to use silence (rests) ... these are all very powerful tools.

A song comes to mind: "Good Times" by Chic. Deliciously funky, no slapping. Heavy down beat, plus notes on the two and three count, rest on the 4 count (powerful use of silence).

:cool: :cool: :cool:
  4. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Listen to and study as many funk recordings as you can. Play along with as many funk recordings as you can.

Personally, I feel that the late 60s and the 70s are the best decades of funk.

Having the music "in your head" is half the battle.

Good luck.
  5. Give a listen to Tower of Power and search for info on their bassist, Rocco Prestia. He is one of the best when it comes to syncopated finger funk. The advice given is pretty much dead on, note choice, space, and establishing a solid groove are what funk is all about.
  6. lots of ghost notes, it gives it the percusion-type feel of slap, but you dont have to slap.
  7. Stephen Soto says listen to Tower Power.
  8. I agree with the Tower of Power suggestions. Rocco Prestia is the man.

As for the ghost notes, their a cool thing, but they should be used tastefully, and not all the time.
  9. Of course, everything in bass playing, as well as music in general, should be done tastefully.
  10. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
  11. Your absolutely right. It just seems to me that ghost notes are a very easy thing to over-use. they don't work all the time, even when your playing funk.
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Some(most) times, the funkiest lines are the simplest
  13. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    To be funky, you gotta live and breath funk for a good year or two. If you're into Limp Bizkit, Chili peppers, hootie and the blow fish, etc. I'm afraid you won't get there. You have to get REAL funk by some brotha's to get the flav'a - know what I'm say'in??

Buy a bunch of vinyl from about 1975 to about 1982 from the R&B section of the store and you'll be heading in the right direction - anything outside of this would be committing fraud.

Have fun,

14. CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?!?
  15. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Amen brudda.

There is an awsome Australia Acid Jazz band around called 'Directions In Groove' or 'DIG' for short. Im not too sure of their bassists name, but by god, he knows what to play when.
  16. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    Hey quit living in the past man. We call that song rapper's delight now! :p :rolleyes:

Rip rop rippity doooo
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There is no formula for funk. It's all about feel. You have to listen and be able to hear the groove, then try to propel it instead of destroy it. Much easier said than done.

As far as playing on the (downbeat of) one, yes, you can do that. You can also play on the upbeat, play on two, you can do so many things as long as you groove. I did a gig on Monday night with a seriously funky group; drums, keys, bass and percussion. We spent most of the gig exploring grooves. One thing is true, it is as much about what you don't do as what you do.

My kind of gig... and we got paid to have this much fun.

Listen. Good luck.
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Rapper's delight? Talk about living in the past:D

Hasn't Will Smith reused this track yet?
  19. Hmmm... apparently sometimes it is easier 'done than said'..... I've been accused of being funky by many musician fiends, yet I may not be able to 'explain' it as well as I can 'do' it. ;)
  20. spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    Come on now... "Wild Wild West" is quite a moving rendition of "I wish". :D :p
    If anyone can help me formulate a point id be much obliged
    :eek: spots

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.