Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ThaJ-Child, May 6, 2005.

1. ThaJ-Child

ThaJ-Child

Oct 22, 2001
    I need suggestions on some funk albums. Can you guys help me out? Give me some choice nuggets that I have probably never heard of.

Please, nothing that could be described as "funky jazz" or "r&b with a funky edge" or anything like that. I'm talking pure, nasty, uncut funk.

Thanks in advance.

J-Fresh

2. ThaJ-Child

ThaJ-Child

Oct 22, 2001
    Please, nothing by the kind of cheesy funk bands that wear afro wigs. Just some real funk.

My job accidentally paid me some overtime in my check today instead of waiting until the end of the quarter, so I'm looking to spend it on something I don't need. It can be old or new, it doesn't matter.

3. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    For one, check out anything by The Poets of Rhythm... they're not that well known, but they're like James Brown on steroids (or something!). VERY funky.

I first got turned on to them when I picked up this album:

[​IMG]

Ironically, the album says "acid jazz", which is why I tried it out when I picked it up in the store, but it's not acid jazz at all. Trust me, it's greasy funk!! I highly recommend it as a starter disc.

4. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    I would suggest Maggot Brain by Funkadelic and Mothership Connection By Parliament. Pure uncut funk from the man George Clinton. :cool:

5. Pretty top choices there chaps.

I'll recommend anything by The Meters.

6. ThaJ-Child

ThaJ-Child

Oct 22, 2001
    I'll have to check out the Poets of Rhythm. The Meters, GCS and P-Funk are all excellent suggestions, but I've got plenty of those (also just saw the P in Cincinnati this week...DOPE!) You guys are all definitely on the right track.

7. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Cool. I just listened to one of their albums (Discern/Define) and the Original Raw Soul album, and I guess there are some tunes that are sort of acid jazz-y, but not in the sense of what I think acid jazz is today. It's nothing like MMW, Charlie Hunter, Scofield, etc. -- it's more like stuff off the old CTI label (a good place to start there is CTI's "Birth of the Groove"). Does that make sense? Maybe it's old school acid jazz, which to me is more funky. And a lot of the tunes on these albums are just straight-up funk a la JB, nothing jazzy about 'em. Anyway, check it out and let us know what you think!