Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

funk

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by eric234, May 25, 2005.

1. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    i'm trying to learn funk but i can't get the slap down well i can do it but it doesn't come through the amp is it the amps fault or am i completly off?

2. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Try throwing some more highs in you mix bro.

3. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
  4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Are you referring to tone or technique? If it's tone, what type of gear are you using? The other thing that I consider important is , how long have you been playing bass?

Armed with those answers, I'm sure you're going to get a ton of assistance!

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Funk is not just about slap.:rollno:

And a lot of slap doesn't even approach funky.

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Preach on Preacher!!!!

That why I asked how long he's been playing. There are a lot of cats that can lay down 6 ft of pure, nasty, greasy funk...and do it without slapping.

7. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    You want funk, listen to some James Brown, Tower of Power, and Earth Wind and Fire.

Remember funk is about keeping it on the one, it may only be four notes per measure, but make sure it's on the one.

8. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    i never said it was i just can't get the slap

9. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    It's pretty cool that people things slap is the same as funk(i dont talk about you now eric).

I remember when italked to my uncle who plays drums and he said funk was the coolest thing he had seen on bass, he meant slap.

My bass teacher who plays guitar also called slap funk...

but when i looked at tower of power and stuff i dont see much slap..

why do people see slap = funk?

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think he was referring to your stament "I'm trying to learn funk and can't get the slap"

You can play funk without slap...just like you can play jazz or rock WITH slap!

You're talking about a tone or technique...not style

11. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    The early originators of slap bass played funk music(as it was called by African-Americans) where funky = nasty, get down type of music that was vastly different from the "soul music" most non-blacks knew.

12. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    ok then how do i do slap?

13. embellisher

Good slap tone is the product of technique, strings, EQ, and your bass.

Technique is the #1 ingredient, but some things are not going to sound right no matter how good your technique is.

For example, you won't sound very good slapping on an old hollowbody, or a Gibson EB. Most people do not sound good slapping tapewound or flatwound strings, although I have seen one or two notable exceptions to this rule. And for a good slap tone when playing by yourself, you need a 'smiley face' EQ. Slightly boosted lows, slightly cut mids, and slightly boosted highs.

From your profile, it looks like you have a fretless bass. Slap on a fretless can sound cool, but it won't sound like the stereotypical metallic slap sound you hear on recordings.

Two of the classic slap sounds are a fretted Fender Jazz bass, and a fretted Musicman Stingray.

14. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    ok cool thanks alot

15. OK...so call me stupid, but what constitutes exactly "funk style" bass playing then? I'm not too familiar with most funk music, so what would a typical rhythm structure be? (eg in country music, 1-5, 1-5... is pretty typical).

16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    You dont see or hear a lot of slap out of funk (dont start talking about stu hamm, mark king and marcus miller), there is but not many ppl notices it like us bassist do. A lot of this is because those love-song-pop-punks just stick to root notes with a pick and never experiment with different techs (no ofence to those who enjoy/play this style just not my cup of tea, youre also free to point why you play that way this forum is for all of us) or diff grooves.

17. embellisher

Check out some Tower of Power. Rocco Prestia is one of the funkiest cats ever to walk the planet, and he never slaps.

For the roots of funk, check out some Motown from the sixties, featuring James Jamerson. This music is not funk, but funk was born on the backbone of Motown music.

Going forward in time, check out some Sly and the Family Stone, and The Brothers Johnson. This is where funk started to come to life, and there is some fine slap playing on some of the songs.

Then, check out Parliament Funkadelic. Funk with a capital F, a lot of it featuring Bootsy Collins and no slap.

Other good things for funky bass playing, though not necessarly funk music is James Brown, Stanley Clarke, etc.

Heyturnup likes this.
  18. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

Add to that some groups that are lesser-known to the mainstream:

Cameo
    Lakeside
    Slave
    Dazz Band
    Con Funk Shun
    Brass Construction
    George Duke
    (I could go on)

There are several threads here that speak on various Funk artists and slap techniques...do a search and check 'em out

My thought is that is you're gonna play a style...ya need to spend some time listening to the originators/innovators of that style. Have Fun....funk is a blast when done right!!!