1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funk

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rockr4Christ, Aug 6, 2007.

1. rockr4Christ

rockr4Christ

Oct 30, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Hey guys, I have been playing bass for a few years now, mainly playing jazz and rock, but would love to get more into funk...
    any good sites or books out there to move me along (looking for more theory kind of stuff...construction of funk lines, tones, stuff like that)

2. sit down and learn some tower of power by ear...not exactly what you asked for, but learning some funk lines created by a great bassist will help you out a lot when it comes time to make your own.

3. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Maaan...there ain't no theory about funk. You gosta feel tha funk. You gotta play it like you're a 5 yr old and its Christmas Morning, there's a mountain of presents stacked as high as the tree but your parents want you to open one present at a time and you have 6 other siblings. THAT'S funk.

Oh, and go to the Funk 101 thread. That's all the education you need...

4. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Listen and listen and listen some more. Then start working on The Payback by James Brown. The main lines is only two notes. If you can't make two notes funky and groove it ain't going to happen with more.

5. Funk is more in the feel than anything else. The notes patterns, etc, take a backseat to the feel.

6. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I've found Anthony Vitti's Finger Funk Workbooks to be pretty good for "getting a feel" for funk. That's just written out bass lines with a CD of recordings.

If you try and break funk down into theory, it's not going to end up sounding like funk. It will come out sounding like KC and the sunshine band played by a bunch of 50 year old white guys in bad tuxedos at a wedding.

7. Chipsonfire

Chipsonfire

Jul 20, 2007
    Socorro, NM
    This reminds me of a video I saw yesterday of some kid playing "funk" (can't remember what it was he was playing). His technique was pretty good and all the notes were correct but it didn't sound... funky. It sounded very mechanical and forced like it was just practiced and not felt.

8. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Banned

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    <--the essence of funk :bassist:

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    parliament - mothership connection
    earth wind and fire - gratitude live

learn both of those by ear.

10. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    If you like Jamiroquai music, Simon Merrick in Uk has laid down a couple of good volumes about Stuart Zender & Co. music. It's "only" tabs and standard musical notation, it's not an instructional book.

I have Vol 1&2, I know he might be working on a third.

www.simonmerrick.co.uk

Ciao, Paolo