Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

funk

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sk8boarder317, Mar 9, 2003.

1. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    ok basically...ive been playing and practicing regular bass for a while..and i want to learn how to do funk better..i kind of have the technique but it sounds really crappy when i play it...i dont really know what im doin wrong..maybe its my bass...

on the e string i get a resemblence of a slap but i still dont get much force behind it...on the a string i can only get a sound between a and e# and everything else just doesnt make any sound

when i pluck..the sound produced doesn't sound much different then normal playing

hopefully someone can help me:meh:

2. pyrosquee

pyrosquee

Apr 24, 2002
    as for the plucking part, just pluck closer to the bridge. i find that doing this produces a much cooler more intense sound for funkier songs. keep at it, remember don't think to much, just FEEL the music. funk is all in the feel of the rythm.

PyRo:bassist:

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Also, in terms of feel - try doing the Jazz thing of accenting the off beat (i.e. the second 8th note in beat). This works especially well for 'swung funk'. Check out Jaco's stuff e.g. "Barbary Coast" (from Weather Report's "Black Market") and "Come On, Come Over" from his self-titled solo album.

4. "Funk" isn't always synonymous with "slap." When Someone tells me to play funk, I'll always use my index and middle fingers just like anything else. To me it sounds more penetrating and funkier than playing slap. I can't slap very well at all,k but then again, I've never been in a situation where I've felt that I needed to. This of course applies to me and not everybody else. Some people sound great when they slap.

But seriously, if your practicing a funk line, play it both ways and see what sounds better to you. It's possible to be just as percusive with your fingers simply by using ghost notes.

5. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Jacob,that is the most intelligent post I have seen on this site yet...

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Personally, I find fingerstyle to be funkier than slap.

7. Thanks. I'm glad to hear that there are people out there who agree with me.

FINGERSTYLE FUNK RULES! :bassist:

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That wouldn't be the first post of its kind. Not by a long shot. There are plenty of us here that find fingerstyle funkier.

9. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    I've only been here 3 days...and it was'nt what he said but the way he said it...

10. Mod

Mod

Mar 3, 2003
    I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I love playing funk but I can't stand to listen to it, it drives me crazy :p

But

Best way, atleast I've found, to find your way into some good funk licks is to let the drummer give you a simple pulse and start playing muted notes to match the timing, that'll put you right in key with (atleast what I think) the foundation for funk bass is, using the bass as 80% percussion, 20% funk. Not percussive bass is again not synonymous with slap. Just get a muted note beat going and lay anything down in a major key with a flatted seventh in it (sorry, forget the name of this mode :p) and don't be afraid to keep the mutes in there.

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm not sure about the 80% percussion/20% funk thing myself.

You don't need to be muting etc. to be funky. It's more to do with feel, I'd say.

Have you ever listen to any of Jaco's 16th note funk lines? e.g. "Come On, Come Over"? He gets very funky without muting & percussive effects.

And it's about the feel. The way he accents the off beats, like I mentioned earlier.

12. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    You need to read some more posts then!

I'm not doubting the trueness of Jacob's post in the slightest, but there's an abundance of great advice on TB!

Fingerstyle funkier than slap?!

Hmm - sounds a bit like a huge generalisation to me!
    Two words - Marcus Miller
    Another two words - Larry Graham
    Four words - Bootsy with James Brown

Either can be funky as hell, darn it even pick playing can be funky as hell!

I LOVE funk - I listen to loads of it, from early Sly Stone to more modern day stuff. There's no formula but groove and plenty of it!

Moley will tell you abot Larry G - he is one funky mofo slapper!

13. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Ok,maybe I did overstate it a bit,and I'm sure the subject has been beaten to death here...I was'nt stating a preference for fingerstyle over slap,rather I was applauding Jacob's hint at looking for musical substance over technique,the technique must serve the music,not viceversa,and that's the problem when discussing funk,that point always seems to get lost.You're right there is great info here...Marcus Miller is a true hero of mine...and I'm enjoying TB immensely!:D

14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    yup, spot on...

I think a great example of what you're saying is Mr JB, his early stuff comprises all really simple bass parts, but they sure is funky!

I said it a few days ago actually, but it's such a great example: Familyman Barret plays a one note bass 'solo' on Marley & the Wailers Babylon By Bus live album... I'd kill for his groove, say no more :)

15. I pretty much agree with what you guys are saying. Slap can definately be as funky as fingerstyle, just no when I do it. One thing though, Howard, didn't Bootsy play mostly fingerstyle with James Brown? (ex. Sex Machine)

16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I dont rightly know which technique he used mostly - I've not check CD liners thoroughly enough..
    I have this double CD of JB material from the 70's and it has some painfully good slapped basslines on it. It's real disco era and Bootsy is doing some serious stuff... All the material much faster and much of it has that trademark disco beat

tss-dum-tss-da, tss-dum-tss-da

It's real crazy stuff, you can tell Bootsy is young and just trying to play as many notes as he possibley can!!