Funkadelic/One Nation Fretless?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mksolid, Feb 14, 2006.

1. mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    When I listen to songs like Grooveallegiance and Cholly I am inclined to think that Professor Bootsy was using fretless bass? How can he pop off such warm bumblebee notes combined with those low gooey slides?
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I never heard of Bootsy using a fretless. I suspect it's just all those effects pedals that he's running through his bass that gives him fretless sorts of sounds.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

You nailed it.Bootsy is not a fretless player and has never been known to use one let alone record with one.
  4. mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    That's exactly what I thought (that he wasn't a fretless player). It's just that his tone of that cd seems to remind me of Jaco's midrangey but smooth tone.
  5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    im pretty sure grooveallegiance is rodney skeet curtis on bass as it doesnt even sound like bootsy. cholly sounds very bootsy though.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Same here.
  7. some of the "bass riffs" in the parliment songs are done by using a moog. ie the flashlight riff.
  8. its prolly just the env filter...just the way he controls it...bootsy is the funk love bootsy:D
  9. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    This is aside from what's being talked about but has to do with effects. Richard Bona uses a special effect to get a nice frettless sound from his Fodera. It's wired for midi into a Roland V Bass, although I don't think that's where the frettless sound is coming from. His effects are talked about in his forums page at
    Just thought that MKSOLID would be interested.
  10. woodspar

Jun 6, 2009
    Bootsy is playing on this cut "Cholly" ... read the credits. He and Curtis shared on this album.