Funkadelic or Parliament?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tupac, Dec 15, 2012.

1. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Even though they had the same musicians....I was a bigger fan of the Funkadelic albums then the Parlaiment. (Albums? who would think we would use that word again.)

2. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Sounds VERY Jimi Hendrix-ish. Almost like a clone band.

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I refuse to split the Funk this is just another way for the Syndrome to sneak and take over your mind don't fall for it !!!!!

4. Molan

Molan

Dec 13, 2003
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I saw the Parliafunkadelicmentthang back in 79 - Parlet opened the show followed by The Brides of Funkenstein and then on the full Thang. Really couldn't differentiate between them :)

From an albums perspective (of which i have over 20) I have to err on the side of P-Funk. Always found them more 'complete' than Funkadelic with less obvious filler.

These days I tend to listen to more Bootsy than any of the others :)

5. yes!
    same as sun ra. i always use these examples to show the musical anarchists that it takes more than 1hr jam a week to get a good result

to me it seems george clintons concept of recording tunes is to make them teasing. some extremely well done parts (especially back vocals and another harmonic things) are just sneaked into it for a few seconds leaving need for more.
    but when doing a show they would take it and run with it until the extraterrestrials come. "swing down" being the appropriate example now

6. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Funkadelic all the way. The album Funkadelic is a favorite of mine. Pre Bootsy. Mommy, what's a funkadelic?

7. I saw George Clinton at Full Sail years ago and he was saying that Parliment and Funkadelic were the same band (with a few personnel changes, if any) but on different record labels. He did it to pimp the record labels and make more money. I thought it was interesting and genius at the same time.

8. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Damascus, MD
    Interesting, because I've read Bootsy saying that basically it was a style difference. Parliament being more true funk, and Funkadelic being the trippier, more rock-ish version.

9. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I have a Funk/Rock background. I'm easily more into Funkadelic. Parliament had a lot of keyboard bass and to me was a more studio processed sound. Much more commercial a sound than Funkadelic. I'll take Standing on the Verge of getting it on, red hot mama, cosmic slop any day over we want the funk or flashlight. I do however like the placebo syndrome and knee deep.

10. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE!

Mar 31, 2010
    ^This. It's really all about preference in the end. For me, the rock stuff is cool, but Parliament redefined the funk, and made people remember that funk was originally dance music. Disco was just an unfortunate side effect. Yes, Funkadelic was more "raw," but Parliament was certainly not the BeeGees, either!

11. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    P-Funk