Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funkadelic/Parliament DVD?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I bought a DVD with George Clinton/Funkadelic/Parliament and there's a singer who shouts a out something like this at various times:

"Hey Sly!.......Hey Bootsy! and his rubber band!"

They seem to be playing in houston because they say houston a couple times in the end. Are Sly (and the family stone?) and Bootys band playing too on the dvd?

*Edit:* Who's the bassist who plays the Rickenbacker 4001/3 in the background? Bootsy?

2. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    No love for Parliament and Funkadelic? :crying:

3. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I think this is the DVD I have. Sly and Bootsy played before P-Funk. They all come out at the end. Bootsy is playing the tamborine at the end. I've never seen Bootsy playing with P-Funk on bass. The guy on the Rick is probably the same guy who was plaing the Jazz in the movie PCU.

-Eric.

4. Yep, Bootsy and Sly supported. There is recorded footage of Bootsy playing, they played a clip of it during a Funk documentary on BBC 2 (UK) last weekend.

5. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    What's the name of this DVD?

6. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    That's Cordell "Boogie" Mason.

7. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    The mothership connection, it says on the backside that it was recorded during the Mothership tour

8. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Indeed it is. I wish there were better recordings of this band and it's spinoffs. I know of only 1 DVD with Bootsy's Rubber Band. It's from Japan and it's $40.

-Eric.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Is that the dvd that starts out with Eddie Hazel rippin up "cosmic slop"?

10. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Cosmic slop is the first song yes

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That's an old concert, The guitarist with the black on playin the strat is Glen Goins and he passed away from Hodgkinsons desease around 1977. That is one of the reason's they used to play "bring down sweet chariot let me ride" They knew he was terminally ill. The lead guitarist with the funky hat is Eddie "maggot brain" Hazel, He passed away in the early 90's. Btw he was from Brooklyn N.Y.

12. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Anybody know who "diaper man" is? I'm too lame/lazy to check it out. I've got a bunch of PFunk/Bootsy stuff on dvd and we always just call him diaper man. He's the ultra funky rhythm dude shredding on various guitars and...he sports a diaper.

13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Mason or Mosson?

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I think it was Michael Hampton. Anyone wanna guess what brand guitar he played? ;) ;)

Peace,

James

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I think his name is Gary "doo wop" Shider and he was playing a Travis Bean g**tar back then. Mike Hampton's claim to fame is stuff like "knee deep" and "one nation". I saw Mike playing a Parker fly last year :)

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I guess I'm not clear as to whether it was Shider or Hampton in the diaper, but the reason I asked about the guitar brand is 'cause in the Parliament DVD that I have (and suddenly cannot find :eyebrow: ) the diapered dandy was diddling an Alembic guitar. Really, now.....why else would I of all people ask about the guitar brand? ;)

Peace,

James

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Go here for p-funk alumni :)
    http://www.pbase.com/soulfulimpressions/george__clinton

By the way I find it odd that they have the name "maggot brain" under Mike Hampton when Mike hadn't even joined p-funk till 77-78. Maggot brain was played by Eddie "Maggot brain" Hazel in 1971 when he was with Funkadelic. It was Mike who was Eddie's replacement at lead guitar on the mothership tour.

18. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Micheal "Kidd Funkedelic" Hampton, who I met while he stayed at a friend's house, he had a Parker Fly with him, very cool cat, i'm thinking that he might be playing "Maggot Brain" on that picture, that's why his name is under it.

19. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.

It's Mosson.

20. jb64

jb64

May 4, 2003
    Connecticut, USA!
    Endorsing Artist: Carvin Guitars, Bass Amps & Pro Audio
    Actually, Michael "Kidd Funkadelic" Hampton Joined P.Funk around '75. He's on Funkadelic's "Let's Take it the Stage" and Parliament's "Chocolate City" which both came out in '75.