FUNKALISCIOUS!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by newbass, Dec 18, 2002.

1. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Hi. This is newbass's brother. I play bass too. :eek: ;) I am going to be in every bassist dream band when I go back to college next semester. It's a funk band. And the guys requested me to slap! How sweet is that!? Anyway, I don't own an amp. I was wonder, we have horns, drums, guitar, and me. How many watts do you think I need, and do you think I should go with a combo or a head+cab. I kind of like the idea of going with a head so I can upgrade when I need to, but then again it may be overkill. (Yeah, right, like you can buy to much stuff :D ) I also need to know what a good general number is for watts. I've been told bare minimum for playing with a drummer with no pa is around 150. I'm thinking maybe a 2x10 with a 15 or something to that effect. I'll only be playing four strings, so maybe I only need the tens? Also, keep in mind, I need to cover sounds between, say, Wooten, Jamerson, and of course that guy that played that fast pizzicato funk, I forget his name;) . And extra versatility is always a plus of course. I'm making this too long so I'll be quiet now.

2. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    heh heh. Okay, ummmm, 700-800 for the whole deal. Or less of course :) .

3. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    hello ... I don't wanna get lost in the pile! Someone talk to me please!

4. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    for 700 you could get a kicking swr workingman 15. 160 watts of power and then if you want add a cab on and make it 200. You could run the gig w/ 160 watts(assuming there won't be HUGE crowds). I got an older swr workingman and it kicks the crap out of alot of combos.

5. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the reply. Would a fifteen be good enough to get a sharp slap tone?

6. Call BassCentral and talk to Gard. He'll hook you up.

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    You mean Bill "The Buddah" Dickens? :D

8. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Well, I meant Jaco:p , but The Buddha is the master of all techniques bass. I don't love or hate his tone though, I'm kinda indifferent. Oh, back to topic:rolleyes: , I don't mind used stuff.