Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FUNKALISCIOUS!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by newbass, Dec 18, 2002.

1. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Hi. This is newbass's brother. I play bass too. :eek: ;) I am going to be in every bassist dream band when I go back to college next semester. It's a funk band. And the guys requested me to slap! How sweet is that!? Anyway, I don't own an amp. I was wonder, we have horns, drums, guitar, and me. How many watts do you think I need, and do you think I should go with a combo or a head+cab. I kind of like the idea of going with a head so I can upgrade when I need to, but then again it may be overkill. (Yeah, right, like you can buy to much stuff :D ) I also need to know what a good general number is for watts. I've been told bare minimum for playing with a drummer with no pa is around 150. I'm thinking maybe a 2x10 with a 15 or something to that effect. I'll only be playing four strings, so maybe I only need the tens? Also, keep in mind, I need to cover sounds between, say, Wooten, Jamerson, and of course that guy that played that fast pizzicato funk, I forget his name;) . And extra versatility is always a plus of course. I'm making this too long so I'll be quiet now.

2. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    heh heh. Okay, ummmm, 700-800 for the whole deal. Or less of course :) .

3. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    hello ... I don't wanna get lost in the pile! Someone talk to me please!

4. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    for 700 you could get a kicking swr workingman 15. 160 watts of power and then if you want add a cab on and make it 200. You could run the gig w/ 160 watts(assuming there won't be HUGE crowds). I got an older swr workingman and it kicks the crap out of alot of combos.

5. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the reply. Would a fifteen be good enough to get a sharp slap tone?

6. Call BassCentral and talk to Gard. He'll hook you up.

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    You mean Bill "The Buddah" Dickens? :D

8. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Well, I meant Jaco:p , but The Buddha is the master of all techniques bass. I don't love or hate his tone though, I'm kinda indifferent. Oh, back to topic:rolleyes: , I don't mind used stuff.