1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Funkboy makes the NY Times Real Estate Page

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by silvertone, Aug 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    JimmyM and bassbrad like this.
  2. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Ivan is a great bassist, we've spoken a few times and have a lot of mutual friends, but haven't met in person. All of the mutual friends speak highly of him.

But wow, high 300's and 700/month maintenance for 950 square feet. I'm in jersey and its not much better, but that's really high.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know him well but I do know him. Nice guy, killer player. But man, how important can living in NYC be where you'd pay that kind of money for a 900 sq ft apartment??? In Florida, you can get a 4 bedroom house with 3x the square footage for less than that!

4. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Believe me, I know! I want to get out of NJ really badly. It's a strange thing though, I live 10 miles from Manhattan, and on days like yesterday that was a 30 minute trip including parking. Then there's other days where that's a 2 hour trip. I know Ivan was doing a lot of Broadway subbing at one time a few years ago (I'm not on social media anymore so I don't know what anyone is up to) but also working with a lot of the same oldies artists you do, which is often not in the city. So it's a double edged sword.

When I was in the Sarasota area last year for a gig, I really enjoyed the area - granted it was April, so not terribly humid yet, and the wedding was at a house where the backyard was the gulf of Mexico, not where I could afford, but I still enjoyed the whole area. I got to spend some time checking out st. Petersburg as well and I was floored by how much music was going on there on a Sunday afternoon.

One of the other bassists that was doing a lot of those gigs up here wound up moving to maine and he drives down when he has gigs, which sometimes is about the same drive...a Hamptons gig on a saturday in the summer could easily be a 5 hour drive.

On the other hand, another musician I know bought his apartment over 25 years ago for 250k, when he decides to move it will easily get over a million. NYC is an interesting place. I guess some people can't imagine living anywhere else.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    JimmyM likes this.