Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by basegetar, May 21, 2002.

1. Hey what are some good funkcore bands?
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell is with all of these "core" bands? In the past few days, I've read about hardcore, metalcore, grindcore and now funkcore. What gives?
  3. Labels and categorization will be the death of creative and inovative music.
  4. rhythmrod

Oct 27, 2001
    Austin, Texas
    Pardon my ignorance, but just what is a "Funkcore Band". I play funk music, have been for quite sometime (20+ yrs), am not familiar with the term. Now, if you would like to know of some good Funk bands, well, there are many.

Parliament / Funkadelic
    Bootsy's Rubber Band
    Mother's Finest
    Ohio Players
    etc, etc, etc the list go on and on........:)
  5. If you wanna hear some stuff that defies categorization (although you can hear both 'funk' and 'core' elements), try Victim's Family. Get their record 'The Germ'. Great bass playing by Larry Boothroyd!
  6. never heard "funkcore" before, but whatever it is, i bet it sounds like the Infectious Grooves!

my band's new label is "popcore." ;)
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm ASSuming that anything with "core" as its suffix relates to HardCore.
    By that logic(?)-
    FunkCore would be a a melding of Funk & HardCore.

Come to think of it, about 5 years ago, I was in a "FunkCore" band(I guess)...our originals would sometimes toggle between a RATM vibe & a James Brown-Funk...
    (I called it "Avant Funk"). ;)
  8. Im going to guess and say Incubus are funkcore. Their old stuff, anyway. The new stuff is just pop music, IMO.
  9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Curious about "funkcore" and able only to think of Suicidal Tendencies with Robert Trujillo on bass as a possible candidate, I went to AOl search and came up with this band, but no definition... StoneCracker, a band that claims to be "industrial strength sinister funkcore." :(

I'll try Google and see if I can get a definition of "funkcore" or at least some traits of the genre.
  10. Boplicity

Google didn't give me a definition, but I got the names of some bands who cliam to be funk-core stylists.

Unified Culture: From Cleveland. They claim to be the creators of funk-core in around 1994.

Adequate 7: A UK ska-core/funk-core band.

Cerebros Vacios (Empty Heads): Funk-ska-core/reggae

Turnstyle: Blend hardcore, jazz, funk, and hard rock into funkcore. (Imagine a blend of Bad Religion, Miles Davis, Parliament Funkadelic, and Aerosmith) or (Fugazi, Coltrane, Graham Central Station, and Van Halen)

Preskewl: Six member funk-core band.

Four Ounce Freedon: another funk-core band

To check out these bands, go to and type in funk-core, funkcore or funk core. Any combination will show you some web sites of bands that call their music funk-core.
  11. Faith No More, Ozomatli, RATM, a lot of modern metal bands (at least the good ones) can be considered "funk bands" somewhere along the line of Metal history some metal bands decided to start thrashing, and others decided to start grooving. I don't know if you could call that "funkcore", though.

My friend's band's FUNcore...heh heh....... heh heh
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, I like my Left coast-Right side-easy metalcore-Nu emo-funk pop-Up wing-North Eastern Jazz Punk-deathcore-Latin Subversive Groovetronic-Dumping ground for hyphens-Ragge/Techno Fusion.

Deathtounge are a excellent example of this music.

Anything else is inferior.
  13. Hey I'm not making this crap up. Alright there was this pretty heated debate my friends and I were debating over, hardcore vs. metal, what's the difference, at first I couldn't find a difference due to the babblings of my non musician friends. So I came to talkbass and brought it up (Check out the Hardcore Vs. Metal thread in Misc.). Apparently Hardcore is metal with more groove, less screechy guitar solos, and more meaningful lyrics. And I like what I thought was funk metal... but if metal ain't got no groove, then it ain't funk. So basically I want a hard funk band. Examples? A few brought up in this forum that are perfect examples... Incubus (pre Make yourself) and Infections Grooves. Apparently bands like Rage Against the machine are "Rapcore." Sorry I don't fully understand core and probably never will. So I want some funky hard bands. I hope that clears things up. :confused:

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    AVANT FUNK IS THE _ _ _ _
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Speak? They can sing Pimples from Hell in 3 different keys!
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Poor Bill...caught with his pants up.
  17. Boplicity

Would Red Hot Chili Peppers qualify as "funk-core"?
  18. I think RHCP are funkcore... because hardcore also has a punk influence... well at least old hardcore. Ehh... we need to get SMASH over here, he's the hardcore expert.