Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FunkeeStation at The Boat Bar

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by malthumb, Jul 11, 2004.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    We played The Boat Bar in Ortonville, Michigan again last night. A good time was had by all :smug: . One guy won $12K playing Keno. A friend of our drummer won $50K playing Keno!! :eek: No doubt they had a great time.

My favorite pieces last night were.....
    • Take Me To The River - Al Green
    • You Can Leave Your Hat On - Joe Cocker
    • Play That Funky Music / Superstition Medley
    • Signed, Sealed, Delivered - Stevie Wonder
    • Them Changes - Jimi Hendrix & Band of Gypsies
    • The Way It Is - Bruce Hornsby
    • Skin Tight / Brickhouse Medley

On "The Way It Is", we feature our keyboard player, but I also get to take two solos :bassist: . The first one I just pretty much funk out on the basic bassline. That always goes well. Last night in the 2nd one I went to a higher register riff and TOTALLY lost my timing and had to find my way back to the earlier funked out E / A / C /D bassline :crying: .

I played my Alembic 5 string most of the night, but I always play my Hanewinckel fretless when we do "Them Changes". It's got some really fast trills and I prefer to do them without speed bumps. ;) I also tend to use the fretless when we do "Shaft", since we tend to do those back to back. When we work "What's Goin' On" and "Heard It Through The Grapevine" into our set I'll probably use the fretless for those, too.

We play the Boat Bar again on the 23rd. I may park the Alembic and give the Marchlewski a full test drive that night. We play an outdoor street fair on the 24th. I'm sure I'll fly with the Alembic again. Nothing like having that steady crutch to lean on.

If you go to our website, you can view some Quicktime clips of "The Way It Is", "Hounddog" (not really part of our set list, but our keyboard player and singer just started into it and it went) , "Play That Funky Music", and "Taxman". Taxman was from our first time playing The Boat Bar in June. The sound on that clip truly sucks.

As I said, a good time was had by all.

Peace,

James