Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funkier than Jaco? (Gasp!)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by watspan, Jan 20, 2003.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Let's be controversial! Not to demean Jaco, or his contributions, but simply because he is held as the "gold Standard" in terms of tone, technique and funkiness--What contemporaries of Jaco(mid-70's) would you consider funkier or as funky as Jaco (reference recordings also)

I'll start with Paul Jackson. Listen to Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters", "Thrust", "Man-Child" or the live "Flood" Paul's playing w/ a Fender Jazz and Acoustic 301 cab--damn, he percolates!

2. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    man I don't even see half your accolades to jaco as true. when I think of jaco I think of a unique tone, great Technique, and mostly as a composer. But funkiness goes right to:

Bootsy Collins (anything)
    Larry Graham (if you want me to stay, Hair, anything else he ever played)
    Louis Johnson (strawberry letter #23)
    Stanley Clarke (anything off the school days album)
    Anthony Jackson (for love of money)
    Willie weeks (Voices Inside Everything is everything by donny hathaway)
    George Porter jr (cissy strut)
    and by the way thats paul jackson Jr.

There you go man also check out the stuff that jaco loved like "Funky broadway" by Wilson Pickett and all the old motown stuff. I like the post but I have never actually heard someone say "no one is or was funkier then jaco pastorius" I still think his greatest talent was just composition which is why in an improvised setting he really shined. yo check out jaco's "liberty city" to hear his arrranging skills

3. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I believe paul jackson jr. is a different artist--a guitarist in the r&b/jazz vein. I like your bassist suggestions, though.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, Jr is somebody else--a guitarist.

5. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    there were lots of bassists funkier than Jaco, in his time or any other time...doesn't take away from Jaco's genius, but he wasn't close to the funkiest

6. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    hmmm....well Paul Jackson Jr. was the one listed as playing with Mike Clark at the House of blues when i went and saw the roots funk allstars. is that the same guy?

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've got Headhunters, Thrust and Manchild - if you like that stuff get Secrets (if you haven't already). I like Paul Jackson's playing, he gets funky, but for me, Jaco is funkier.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Sly Stone plays bass on "If You Want Me to Stay", not Larry.
    Check out Willie Weeks' playing on Donny Hathaway's "Back Together Again", sheer funkedified genius!
    Kool's playing on "Rhyme Time People" by Kool and the Gang.
    Bobby Watson's playing on Rufus and Chaka Khan's albums.
    Anything by Slave.

9. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I would belive so--mike clark's prescription renewel came through Madison wi. a year or two ago w/ Paul Jackson, bill summers, larry goldings and a sax player i don't remember--damn, that was a great show--if you saw the same thing you know what i'm talkin' bout when I say Paul "action" jackson is one phenomenal bassist. Agree?

To avoid confusion, there is an r&b/smooth jazz guitarist who releases under Paul Jackson jr.--different cat--never hear him!

anyhow--this was meant more as pro-paul jackson thread--not a put down Jaco thread--i loved Weather Report, Barbary Coast, Heavy Weather etc., read Milkowski's book also--very interesting--what prompted this thread was just getting and listening to "Flood" recorded in the mid 70's--the reason for Jaco comparison is because they were working at the same time, in a similar genre with similar equipment and Jaco is widely regarded as the top bassist of that time. Anyhow, in a burst of enthusiasm while listening to "Flood", I said to myself " Jackson's as good as Jaco, probably funkier" Thought i'd start a sensational thread and see what people thought!!!

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    1-Coulda been a typo(the "Jr." part).
    2-Coulda been PJ, Jr. playing guitar w/ Mike Clark.
    You were there so I'm discounting option #2...so I'm guessing someone responsible for the poster didn't know the difference.

Weird-
    I always assumed PJ, Jr.(the guitarist) was the son of Paul Jackson(the bassist).
    I just checked AMG:
    Headhunter bassist Jackson was born in '48.
    Guitarist Jackson was born in '59.

11. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Then check out larry playing it with prince. Prince usually covers that tune and you may catch it on Prince's new live boxset. I've seen the reunited Graham central station and they did "if you want me to stay" at both shows. ok my bad on paul jackson and I think he's great. also I don't seen anyone bashing jaco. Barbary coast is great come on come over is wonderful opus pocus was my proficiency piece last year. But I really think looking at Jaco as a funk bass player is misguided although everyone's entitled to their opinion

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW-
    I do see Jaco as a very, very Funky player.

Some heavy Funksters have already been mentioned(George Porter, Jr, Stanley, Paul Jackson)...also-

Alphonso Johnson(Mysterious Traveler; Tale Spinning; Black Market by Weather Report. Sunburst by Eddie Henderson. Cobham/Duke Band, solo discs...

Gary King(Bob James' '70s albums)

Pops Popwell(Crusaders' Images; Those Southern Nights; Free As The Wind)

Chuck Rainey...where to even begin? Aretha Franklin's albums, Roberta Flack/Donny Hathaway albums, Quincy Jones' albums, Steely Dan's albums, etc.

Others-
    Will Lee, Neil Jason, Louis Johnson, Randy Tico,...

13. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    lotta fusion up there. Jaco is very funky but I think thats on the low end of the spectrum as far as his talents go. I'm telling you guys the funkiest man ever is bootsy.

as far as the funkiest lines go anyone know who played the bass line to "funkentelechy" by george clinton?

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    That's Bootsy on bass AND drums.

15. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    I figured as much. I saw maceo parker one night and Bootsy sat in on drums. that bass line is funky. that could be the funkiest line I've ever heard

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey woodchuck, are you shure that's Willie on back together again? I think It's a Guy named Tinker (Uriel Barkerfield) or something like that. he was also the early road bassist for Luther while Marcus stayed with the studio work.

17. Not normally considered to be funky, but Lee Sklar gets pretty mean on "Spectrum" with Billy Cobham.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Ooh, I remember Tinker. I didn't know if it was him though. I just assumed it was Willie. Whomever it is, is amazing on that song!

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Paul Jackson jr. can be found doing session work on tons of Fusion and Smooth Jazz records. Most notable, some of George Benson's work.

20. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    ain't that the truth!