Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

funkiest bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Xanadupie, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Xanadupie

Xanadupie

Jun 1, 2003
    I was just wondering if anybody had an opinion on what they considered the most funkiest sounding bass, when played slap. Cite equipment, too if you feel inclined. I was just wondering what some people would come up with.
    -Cheers!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, slap and funk aren't nesscarily the same. Just commonly associated. So the funkiest rig might not be the same as the slapiest (new word for the day!) rig.

3. Xanadupie

Xanadupie

Jun 1, 2003
    I know. I just mean the best mix of the two.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    slapiest happiest? :p

A buddy of mine is a great slap and funk player... drives me nuts, really. He keeps telling me he doesn't care what the bass is, he will slap the ______ out of it. He tells me it's the player, not the bass. And he proves it constantly.

P@

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I agree with what the others said, but if you want what I think of when I hear "funk slap" then I'd say probably a Musicman Stingray

6. Xanadupie

Xanadupie

Jun 1, 2003
    yea, I'm obviously a newbie. I just want that funky sound, but I don't know anything about the whole bass set-upness at all. Thank you so much.

7. Anthony Wellington's slap bass recipe;
    Swamp ash body
    maple board and neck
    polyurethane finish
    single coils
    21 frets

8. Xanadupie

Xanadupie

Jun 1, 2003
    alright, so I'm looking at getting a Fender Jazz bass, but I'm also lost in relation to heads, cabinets, amps and pre-amps. I've been searching through this forum, but I really don't know enough about the conventional bass set-up to get anything out of brand comparisons. I'm looking at an Ampeg SVT15E cabinet @ around 400$. The bass itself is around 600$. ANY help AT ALL would be wonderful.
    Thank you very much!

9. Xanadupie

Xanadupie

Jun 1, 2003
    also I'd like to know any major differences between a Fender Delux Active J-bass and a Fender Blem American J-bass. And about Pick-ups. It seems humbucker pick-ups are better for my vague purposes. The bassist form Incubus' sound being ideal. i looked at Warwick's, but I decided on a Fender J-bass. This is all taking place over the internet because I live in a hick, musically-defective Jersey town.

10. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Just bring an upright to your rock gig, that would be pretty funky to me:D

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The difference between the dlx jazz and the standard jazz, the dlx has a very modern sound (active electronics) and the jazz is passive for a more vintage sound. Try and find a dlx 98 and before w/o the noiseless pups. I think that is the better sounding dlx bass. The passive jazz ain't no slow leak either!

12. I'd say go with the passive J-bass.

13. Xanadupie

Xanadupie

Jun 1, 2003
    Dang, alright. What's the difference between active and passive? Does active just do more funky little electronic things? I just want that old slap-bass funky sound (I KNOW there's a difference) a la Wild Cherry or Primus! I'm having a hard time finding old basses too. Any online tips? Thanks!

14. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    warwicks are funky1

any warwick!

i have a thumb 5 and with the 3 band eq i can get almost anything

also the boost is great for slap

but i have to said that the stingray is one of the funkiest bass around!

15. I'm with PM Kelley in the statement

"...it's the player, not the bass."

However, comma, I also agree with KB, that the MusicMan StingRay is one of the funkier sounding basses when slapped / popped.

Lots of people hate slap, and lots of people hate the Stingray sound. Oh well. No one is holding a gun to their head and forcing them to listen ... or forcing them to comment about it.

;)

16. Most people that hate slap bass are usually bassists that have a hard time getting a handle on the technique.Its a wonderful technique in the right hands,and people usually always respond favorably to it.

17. Xanadupie

Xanadupie

Jun 1, 2003
    thanks much! I still need some information on cabinets and heads and such... I've only really started researching basses today. Could anyone really define cabinets, head and pre-amp? Did I mention I'm going for a five string at all? The price can't be over 600-700. So ANY Warwick will do? hrm...even the Rockbass? Because I hear a lot of raise for Fenders, then bad things about Squires, even though they're made by Fender, they're obviously not the same thing.

Is it so for the Rockbass and Warwicks at large, as well?

so flipping confusing for one girl in one day...

18. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Xanadupie,

Just listen to records until you hear something that you like. When you do, try to find out who the player was and what equipment was used. Then go from there..... As you can see, you can get just about any bass-related question answered around here.

My personal choice for a great slap tone is either Larry Graham /Jazz Bass or custom Moon Jazz.

Or Marcus Miller/ Jazz Bass

19. Xanadupie

Xanadupie

Jun 1, 2003
    well, though I still need to figure out amps and such
    I figured, I want a warwick. that's what the ex-bass player of Incubus had, and though it's not the same warwick, it's a funky-sounding bass, the concensus seems to be, I'll find out soon eneough anyway. I love their early stuff, and it incorporated that bass in a big way. Cheers and thank you all so very much! I could still use infor on what a cabinet/head/pre-amp is, but whenever. thank you very much!

I ended up with a Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic 5-string electric bass, and it's active. Which is okay. I can always get another bass.

PS. Amp info anyone?