Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funkin' Confusing

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by old_skool, Mar 7, 2003.

1. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was hoping some of you out there could shed some light a small matter that has been confusing me for quite some time. What is the diffrence between George Clinton and the Parliment Funkadelic, The P-funk, Parliment, The P-Funk All-Stars, and any other of the odd variations Ive heard? I only have one cd that simpley is titled "Parliment". Are they all the same band with diffrent nic-names people have made up? Are there diffrent versions of the band, with George - without Geroge? Is it just some funky cosmic mystery? Help!

2. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    There is no diffrence between GC & Parliament Funkedelic.
    Parliament is more Keyboard and Bass oriented(Flashlight),while Funkedelic is more guitar driven
    (Maggot Brain).

it's no mystery,just the Funk..Uncut Funk.
    May the funk be with you.
    Starchild signing off.
    ;)

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Old_Skool-
    Next time you're in Barnes & Noble, sit down & read thru Funk by Dave Thompson. There's some nice info on what you're asking...& trust me, I was as befuddled as you(it's only a little more clear now). ;)
    After reading, I did pick up Funkadelic's 1st album...Funk-Rock & guitar-driven as Starchild sez.

On a whole, I would say, like Sun Ra, it is a funky, cosmic mystery...