1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Funky 70's sound

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DFTLownsYOU, May 21, 2004.

  1. DFTLownsYOU


    Dec 11, 2003
    Redlands CA.
    Alright I'm still pretty new to playing and achieving a certain sound/tone. I'm not really sure as to how I can describe the sound I'm talking about other than the bass in the cheesy 70's detective shows , kinda funky I guess. I'm noticing alot of the newer indie bands coming out are taking on this sound - The Rapture , !!!(chikchikchik) for example. I know I'm not being very clear on the description of the tone but any input on how to achieve this tone would be much appreciated.
  2. JimK


    Dec 12, 1999
  3. A Mutron envelope filter may be what you're looking for. Yummy goodness.
  4. Woodchuck


    Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    And a compressor.
  5. DFTLownsYOU


    Dec 11, 2003
    Redlands CA.
    Oi vey , you're speaking a different language to me. I'm not familiar with either of those. What exactly is A Mutron envelope filter , what is a compressor...what do they do? Sorry for all the questions like I said I'm still new to alot of this.
  6. Planet Boulder

    Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

    Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    DFT: Your best bet is to search in the effects section for both "compressor" and "mutron".

    Once you find the Mutron" threads, you'll probably want to do a search for "envelope filter" in order to get a better explanation of that.

    There's a lot of info that you'll find quite useful.
  7. DFTLownsYOU


    Dec 11, 2003
    Redlands CA.
    Thanks I'll do that.