Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funky 70's sound

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DFTLownsYOU, May 21, 2004.

1. DFTLownsYOU

DFTLownsYOU

Dec 11, 2003
    Redlands CA.
    Alright I'm still pretty new to playing and achieving a certain sound/tone. I'm not really sure as to how I can describe the sound I'm talking about other than the bass in the cheesy 70's detective shows , kinda funky I guess. I'm noticing alot of the newer indie bands coming out are taking on this sound - The Rapture , !!!(chikchikchik) for example. I know I'm not being very clear on the description of the tone but any input on how to achieve this tone would be much appreciated.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    P-bass?

3. A Mutron envelope filter may be what you're looking for. Yummy goodness.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    And a compressor.

5. DFTLownsYOU

DFTLownsYOU

Dec 11, 2003
    Redlands CA.
    Oi vey , you're speaking a different language to me. I'm not familiar with either of those. What exactly is A Mutron envelope filter , what is a compressor...what do they do? Sorry for all the questions like I said I'm still new to alot of this.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    DFT: Your best bet is to search in the effects section for both "compressor" and "mutron".

Once you find the Mutron" threads, you'll probably want to do a search for "envelope filter" in order to get a better explanation of that.

There's a lot of info that you'll find quite useful.

7. DFTLownsYOU

DFTLownsYOU

Dec 11, 2003
    Redlands CA.
    Thanks I'll do that.