1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funky A## song/video. Need help with fills in song.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Okkkkkk.... sorry to be uhhhhh... that guy, but can anyone help me out with this song? I'm mainly concerned with the fills. I've got the line down, and the song is in C and all that, but in what direction would I go to start figuring out some of those fills? I've heard some of them before, or I recognize the note groupings, which makes me think he's using a particular mode for that certain sound. Anybody got any ideas? All the fills are really funky, I'd love to know the little box, or whatever it is he's using, to fool around with. Thanks for any help. I know it's kind of a vague question.

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I hear some dorian mode, some blues scale, some mixolydian, all in the key of C. Adding some chromatic passing tones, and a lot of soul will get you a similar sound. The best way to cop these licks is to play the track over and over, which is a time-honored way of learning material like this.

This is a short answer to a big and loaded question that can be a lifetime pursuit.

3. HA HA, you got that right. I got all the modes down. I guess it's just finding the right notes to put together. It always sounds like darn scales to me. I know there's "licks" in the song, and like I said, I've heard em before. I just can't find a teacher or player around that knows em, lol. My ear isn't that great, one reason I'm trying to learn songs, but it's just not good enough to pick up all those little runs and passing tones yet. FREAKIN EARS NEED TO CATCH UP WITH MY HANDS!!:meh:

4. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    I know what you mean...Try Amazing Slow Downer..I still suck at transcription but it helps me a lot. I use for every song I learn now, even if I have sheet music since it can repeat sections on loop and change the speed ext.