1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funky amp/cab smell.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aaronious, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    I did a search for this and found a millions answers none of which seemed like my problem exactly.

I have an Ampeg PF350 running into an Ampeg BSE 4x10 hlf. Its an older cab. But it's a " brand new floor model " The amp is rated @350 watts- 4 ohms and the cab is 400@ 4 ohms. Ran it for two hours on the setting that's in the pics. It sounded fine but the clipping light was coming on so I backed off the gain until it stopped and went on about my business.

Everything sounded great, no distortion, super loud jamming with a drummer.
    Now that I'm home it stinks. Not bad just a slight odor. And it still sounds fine. Not like burning electronics. If you've ever worked in a kitchen and had to "burn off" a new oven or stove, that's what it smells like. Do amps/cabs do this?

Did I blow something up or if this a normal break in smell?

Attached Files:

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It will burn off with time. New amps do smell a bit.

Power resistors and other parts that run hot can smell for a while. They add a high temperaure silicone goop to some components inside the amp to help hold them in place. Perhaps this is contributing. Solder flux is used in production, this is normally cleaned off but there could be residue. A tech would open the amp and look for signs of anything amiss.

Cabinets can also smell. The vinyl and the adhesive will offgas. Some cabs have a sticky coating on the inside that takes a while to stop smelling. I had one Marshall cab that was particularly bad. Eventually it goes. These fumes are not supposed to be harmful, or so they say.

GregT, aaronious and Arjank like this.
  3. aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    That's what I was thinking. To me it just smells like burn off.
    Is there anything I should keep an eye on next time though? From what I understand, a speaker will distort and basically tell you when it's not happy right? What about the amp. It's cool as a cucumber, will it get hot of something is going bad? Thanks for the help.

4. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    If the amp sounds fine I wouldn't worry about it. As I said, an initial smell is normal.

Yes, if there is an issue, something can burn up on the inside. Fault mode protection designed into the amp is there to help prevent this.

I assume that the fan is working when the amp heats up. I would check that just to be sure.

While you can still return it, now is the time to drive it hard and see. If it gets worse, you are covered. It is normal for the amp to get warm as it is being used. The harder you push it, the more it will generate heat. There is a large heatsink on the output transistors. They dissipate the heat and the fan draws it out.

5. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I'm pretty sure the clipping light on the Ampeg PF series is for the preamp, and not the class-D power amp section. You can safely overdrive the preamp, but yes you will get some "grit" which some people actually like. If you overdrive the power section the amps self-protection circuit will kick in and mute the sound.

As far as the smell, I agree with the other posters, probably just "new amp smell". If a transistor, cap or transformer blows, it's a strong and unmistakable smell.

6. aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    I'll keep an eye/now out. Everything seems fine and I can feel there fan blowing. It's the first nice set up I've ever had some I'm probably gonna obsess over it fit awhile. Wait till I freak about my Svt and 8x10 over day.

7. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I've been through the same worries over new gear. Reading the internet can drive you nuts worrying about potential issues.

Fret your bass, not over the amp. :laugh:

aaronious likes this.
  8. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I had a mouse die inside one of my cabs. It got in through a tuning port and then was apparently too rodent-brained to get back out. Smelled *awful* for a long time, then OK again. When I opened it up one time there was a completely dehydrated mouse skeleton inside. I've got a picture of it somewhere. Must find it.

9. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    You needed a mouser.

aaronious likes this.
  10. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I have two of them. They're incompetent.

IconBasser and aaronious like this.
  11. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Why go after a mouse with all those fish nearby.

12. jmlee

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Why get up at all until someone opens a can?

bolophonic and beans-on-toast like this.
  13. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Pour Febreeze down the input jack. Rinse with water. Microwave dry.
    Should be done with that problem afterwords

aaronious and spaz21387 like this.
  14. I have a stereo amp like that. Every time I use it, it smells like something is burning out somewhere...

Been doing it since 1981.

15. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Ever notice that EV powered cabinets smell like pot?

16. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    all my gear smells like pot

17. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Lol. So I get my 17 year old son and his buddy to help me load the gear back to my rehearsal space. My kid loads the gear in and says 'dad' is there something we need to talk about? Lol

It's a 15 x 15 Room with no windows, and it smells like a grow op. I have 8 EV powered speakers lol. So now even my pedals smell like pot. And I don't smoke, really, I don't haha

18. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Many amps have a little pot inside them for adjusting the bias.

19. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I just picked up a brand new in the box Fender Supet Bassman. It smells like dust. Been running it an hour or more a day and it is getting better.

My question is, can new boxed amps get dusty? I looked inside and removed a small amount of dust off the tubes and chassis. Weird.

20. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I bought a new SVT, shipped from the warehouse, that was dusty inside as well. It seemed pretty odd to me and I wondered if at some point it had been opened. They claimed that it hadn't been.

One thing you might try is calling Fender and ask them, based on the serial number, if their records indicate if it was opened and returned, been repaired, or is a second. If someone else had registered it or it was serviced, they would know.