Funky Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maillotjaune, Jun 16, 2001.

1. maillotjaune

maillotjaune Guest

Jun 16, 2001
    I'm looking to buy a new bass for under $400. I want to get a 4-string bass that can hit really good lows. It'll be used for a lot of improv jams and for playing music like Phish, String Cheese Incident, etc. Thanks
  2. well you can dial lows up out of your rig no matter what bass you're playing, but some basses lend themselves to certain styles better than others. The first thing I would check out is one of the MIM Fender Jazz basses. I'm not sure what they go for now, but you can get some pretty good tones for your money if you're playing through the right gear.
  3. check out cheaper spector korean models, good quality bang for the buck, also fenders are typically good deals, but i'd say precision over jazz for your music
  4. i've never seen a mim p where i'm located. guess i'm not familiar with what fender is pumping out these days.
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Personally, I'd go for the MIM jazz. You can get a much wider range of tones from a jazz than you can with a precision. I have a MIM jazz, and, unlike many of the people on this board, am fairly satisfied with it. Of course I would prefer to have a Sadowsky or Fodera, but until my rich uncle dies, I'll just have to stick with my MIM Jazz:p:D