Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funky bass's effects, i.e.mini Q-Tron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chalie, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Hi there, :)

I am wondering if the Q-Tron is an effect that is being use for funky bass, thump and plug style.
    I am looking for those effects that would bail me out from the funky gigs other than ordanary effect such as flanger and chorus.

Would this be a choice for me or should I be looking to otheres.

Thanks

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well it is an envelope filter. Think Bootsy Collins.

That said, I dig mine, but many dislike the entire Q-tron line. Definitely demo one in person to decide for yourself.

Good luck,
    Adam

3. The Q tron has served me good thus far. It is definately intended for funk use. It can get pretty hairy sometimes though becuase of the high boost in gain. Analog envelope filters just sound better to me than digital ones. Q - Tron and a Bassballs with the distortion on gets a sound almost identical to Sir Psycho Sexy.

4. Adam, what would be your choice

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well the only Q I've played is the Mini Q. But I currently own it and enjoy using it.

6. bassballs is good. for fingerstyle lines, i like it distorted, but if i really start slappin and stuff, i like it better without the distortion.

7. I demo-ed a Qtron a while ago and was not super-thrilled, but this is based on personal preference of course... it sounds great, but it didn't produce the sort of burbly wiiiiide fatness that I was questing for at the time. More of a tight sound.

That being said, I will echo the advice of others in this thread and say, Demo it! It's the only way to know for sure.

8. Is the mini Q-Tron and Bassball are similar in tone wise

9. From what I know, the Q-tron gives you a little more full sound, while the bassball (which is actually an auto-wah I think) is a little more transparent. That is, it projects your bass tone a little more clearly than effecting it completely with an Envelope filter.

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No. The mini Q-tron is a standard envelope filter.
    The bassballs consists of two simultaneous filters, giving a more vowelly sound.

11. Q-tron: a variety of "Quack" sounds
    Bassballs: a variety of "Bow" sounds

They work the same (filter engages at different intensities based on playing), but they sound slightly different. Q tron sounds a little more wah-wah ish while the bassballs has a little more of a talk box sound (with distortion on). Q-Tron -> Bassballs (dist. on) has yielded me a VERY similar sound to the dying Mutron III in Sir Psycho Sexy.

12. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    agree

13. Apologys for hi-jacking the thread, but I have a Q-tron, but I find it is not dirty enough for me, I guess that a bassballs could be better for me as someone above said that it has a dirtier tone with the distortion on, with sir psyhco sexy as and example.

Are there any other evelope filters that can get a real dirty synthy sound that are still 9 volt powered?