1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funky Broadway played by Duck Dunn

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bopeuph, Mar 30, 2015.

1. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I'm going through the Table of Contents I found of What Duck Done, and trying to compile my own booklet of the same tunes. Most of these tunes are at the Freebasspart website, but just came across one interesting thing:

Funky Broadway is on the list. The only studio version I can find is with Tommy Cogbill on bass. Did Duck play this tune at, or did Tim Tindall make a mistake on this?

2. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    And I just got to the Muddy Waters stuff. The only Sugar Sweet recording that I can find has an upright bassist. Anybody know of one that Duck recorded on?

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It's from the Fathers And Sons album Muddy did with Duck, Paul Butterfield, Michael Bloomfield etc.

bopeuph likes this.
  4. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Awesome, thanks.

5. Which is an album that should be studied by anyone wanting to get deep into blues bass playing.

petrus61 and Michael4bass like this.
  6. Tommy Cogbill was the bass player on Funky Broadway. It was cut at Fame in Muscle Shoals with Roger Hawkins on drums. Soul Dance Number Three came out of the same sessions.

petrus61, Dr. Cheese and Michael4bass like this.
  7. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    someday I will find 4 or 5 other guys who want to play the blues the way it was played before it became all about guitar heroics
    And anyone studying Funky Broadway should spend some time with the original version, very different from the Wilson Pickett cover that became a huge hit. The original track by Dyke and the Blazers is a lot more raw, without the speedy bass line.
    original version of Funky Broadway -

petrus61 likes this.
  8. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Ah, this makes sense. I guess there were just some mistakes with What Duck Done, and truly researching Duck's discography would probably have been very difficult 20 years ago.

9. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    It's listed in the table of contents, but the actual section has just four bars printed and gives credit to Tommy Cogbill. It says it's included because "it was one of Duck's favorite bass lines".

10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I was just gonna say...I researched this line literally last Sunday and it is indeed Mr. Cogbill. Great find on the Dyke & The Blazers 45...there's lots of goodness where that comes from. That is RAW funk at its finest!

11. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Oh! That makes sense. I don't have the book, just the table of contents, so I was curious about that.

Since the book is so rare, I took the table of contents and compiled the basslines for myself. Currently looking up new must-know lines!

12. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    someday I will find 4 or 5 other guys who want to play the blues the way it was played before it became all about guitar heroics
    Try this one that Duck played behind Eddie Floyd: watch the key change half way through.

Polk Salad likes this.
  13. nolaguy

nolaguy

Jun 27, 2011
    There is a medley of Soul Finger/Funky Broadway on the Blues Brothers' 'Made in America'-

14. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    These are great suggestions, guys. Really appreciate it!

15. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    dyke oh yeah baby…. the real