"Funky But effective:" For Carpeted Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Mar 16, 2003.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Had a 2 night stint in the smelliest, skankiest, but best paying club.
    Brand New carpeted cab. Dread the "REEK!" The stench, the smell of the inside of a cigarette filter.
    If my clothes smell after a show, I can wash that.

But ...What about my new (carpeted)Cabinet?

Solution: Crude, kinda ugly, but It Worked!

I went to the garage, got a large black trash bag and threw it in with my gear. At the joint, I sliced it down the middle, so it was sort of in half. And wrapped it around my 2 x 10 carpeted cab. Except fot the front of course.

It's all black so once the head was on top, no one could really see it.
    It sat in the club for more than 36 hours, and it doesn't reek since I got it home. So, until I find a better solution, this will do.
  2. Why don't you mount the carpet on your cab using velcro or something else removable? After a gig, take it off and wash it.

I could see if you toured a lot and it got banged around, how this wouldn't work. But for casual use, it might.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    C'mon guys. Your gear is supposed to smell like beer and cigarettes if it's workin' gear.
  4. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I agree, gear was meant to be used.The more you worry about it,the better the chance something will happen to it.Just Rock and Don't Think About The Stink:bassist:
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    ...carpet cleaner?
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The thing about febreeze and carpet cleaners; the cabinet is birch ply, I don't want to get it wet. Febreeze tends to "not evaporate" so it can gunk up, and turn to eventual sludge carpet.
  7. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    everytime I get a new carpeted cab(or build one) I put it in with my two dogs for 48 hours and let them get dog hair all over it---you know make it REALLY SMELLY...that way the beer/cigarette smell is an improvement and I don't feel regret.;)
    kinda like "keying" your new car yourself before someone else does it!:D
  8. Sprinkle some of that powdered carpet smell remover onto your cab, then vacuum it. (I've never actually tried this, it just sounds really funny)