Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funky Christmas Songs?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Hi
    Right now I'm arranging a Christmas - medley for my bands upcoming concert. I wonder if you guys know any funky/jazzy uptempo christmas songs. Or atleast songs that could be made funky:D
    I think there's a link to a video with my band in my signature.
    Thanks!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I keep hearing this one on our Xmas Oldies station-

"Up On The Housetop"-Jackson 5
    Go ahead & laff...it's a cooker from 1970. The bass is in the style of "ABC" & then some.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    how about that arrangement that Donny Hathaway did? "merry christmas" i think....i had to play this one year....we added our own grease to it, but it has some nice little changes in there....

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I have seen a CD around by James Brown: 'A Funky Christmas' (or something along those lines) - might be the sort of thing you're looking for.

5. outrage

outrage

Dec 14, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK
    It's pretty cheesy but 'Christmas Wrapping' by The Waitresses has the BEST bassline. All depends if you have a female vocalist though.

6. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    RUN DMC
    'Christmas in Hollis'

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Donny Hathaway did write & perform a tune called "This Christmas". Great R&B Christmas tune; nice electric piano solo by Hathaway, too!

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I dig it!

9. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    +2 - the Waitresses' bass player is smokin'. Good song.

10. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I've got a Motown Christmas cd with the Tempations doing a funky version of Rudolph.

11. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Well I don't know if you would call it funky, but I heard Aaron Neville doing "Let it Snow, Let it Snow,Let it Snow" yesterday and it had one of the best walk basslines on it that I have heard.If that qualifies as funky, then it is.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "Christmas Rappin" by Kurtis Blow
    "Dana Dane is Coming to Town" by Dana Dane (Insanely funky!)
    Another vote for "This Christmas" by Donny Hathaway
    "Gee Whiz, It's Christmas" by Carla Thomas (Rufus' lil' girl!)

13. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    another vote for James Brown's "A Funky Christmas", I think that is the actual name, but I could be wrong

14. Thanks alot, guys. Yeah, we have a female singer.
    This is an old video of us:
    http://www.aporia.no/filer/Hiptobe-low.wmv

I've heard the James Brown cd, and I think it's perhaps a little bit too funky:)
    I have already chosen: This Christmas (great tune!), some of the motown stuff, one jackson five song. And, belieave it or not: I'm going to use hillary duffs version of "sleigh ride" (or atleast an arrangment of it. )

And I'll definately check out your suggestions.