Funky color but at what price??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Jun 5, 2005.

1. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Repaints diminish value on vintage Fenders tremendously

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Assuming it's a factory done spray job or refin, it's probably worth twice as much as a stock, regular 63. Which in my estimation probably puts it no higher than about $12-14K.

I saw a chartreuse sparkle metallic 1959 strat a few years ago...with matching headstock. It probably was closer to the $25K guitar.
  4. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    The price of vintage instruments is out of hand. I just read an article that was encouraging people to "Invest" in vintage instruments whether they played or not :rolleyes:
  5. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Well, it's currently at 25K... :lol:
  6. yeah, with no bids :p

and i dont think he'll get any tbh . . .
  7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Something insede of me tells me that it was repainted in the 80s, the finish doesnt looks too cracked but the part under the pickguard is not as crappy as it should be having that paint for more than 40 years. That will just be right if it isnt a warmoth or any third party seller body painted 2 years ago and not so well aged with a 63 neck.
  8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, right now it's at 0$.

When it hits $25k give me a PM and I'll paypal you 5 bucks.
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If the bass really came from the Fender factory that way, it is worth a lot, but not $25K. It is almost impossible for the seller to prove that is the original finish. Even if it is.
  10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I agree entirely.

I would also caution people not to disregard this because of the sparkle finish. Since I've seen a Fender factory finish in person in a outlandish sparkle color (that strat was a 1959 that was a factory refin from 61ish WITH documentation), I know they did do them. Many factory refins of that time were neck pocket stamped by the fender people during the process.

Still not worth 25K, but worth a bundle if real.
  11. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I can't comment on the monetary worth of the bass but...

I like it! :smug:
  12. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004

Hot stuff.
  13. What a joke. I think that is one of the most uninspiring looking Fenders I've ever seen. I really don't understand the 'vintage-bass-so-i'll-pay-10-times-what-it's-worth' mentality.