1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funky Country Bass Lines & Players?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tlite, Sep 5, 2019.

1. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    I recently snagged a copy of Willie Nelson's 'Shotgun Willie', and threw it on the turntable for a listen. I like some roots country but historically country hasn't been my thing. This was the first I'd really even listened to that album outside of 'Whiskey River'.

My knowledge of country isn't terribly deep, so I had to Google who played bass with Willie back then.

Suffice it to say I am now about two days into an obsession with Bee Spears. Terrific playing that caught me totally off guard with Bee's, dare I say Motown-like, fingerstyle funk that somehow completely fits with Willie Nelson and his nylon string guitar.

Yes, I am unbelievably late to the party on this.

Who and what else is out there that gets funky with country?

BlueP likes this.
  2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...maybe not what you're looking for.
    Keith Horne on bass with Hot Apple Pie-

tlite likes this.
  3. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks! I'm not looking for anything specific, just learning what's out there in the country bass world that's good.

4. I'm gonna drop these here since you are getting into Bee.

Willie's band is soooooo funky at the 1974 picnic.

EDIT: Willie's band pops up thru-out the videos, sorry it's not all one scene.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    tlite likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021