Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funky eye-opener!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, May 4, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I was up at Outback tonight with the wife and mother-in-law. They had the "early '70s funk" tape cued up on the Muzak, and the volume was fairly low but the bass was turned w-a-y up.

Wow! I never really noticed just how good a lot of the basslines were back then!

Great - a new genre to learn...

2. What you thought the guitar players were making everyone shake their booties?

3. well yeah, the 70's had some of the best **** around! JUst think about it, Zeppelin, Beatles, Yes, Kiss, Van Halen, Deep Purple, Kansas, ummm and lots others...and GEORGE CLINTON!!!!

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A lot of what I play is from the same era (that's when I was growin' up), but I always ignored funk...

5. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yeah....it wouldn't have been cool. But my age and waisteline are past the point of being cool, so I love the stuff now.

A big eye opener for me a while back, was Rod Stewart's Maggie May. I was blown away by the bass in it. Never heard it before I started playing.

I started a thread here, and the opinion is that Ronnie Wood was playing bass for Rod back then. Figures .:eek:

Dave