Funky Fashion Show Song Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FungusHumungous, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Hello all,
    I've been assigned the jo of putting together a band to play "light" music for a High School fashion show. For all intensive purposes light=funky(light music to me means Muzac/elevator music and that would not go over well at a fashion show).

So I am assembling a 3 piece(drums/percussion, keys, bass) + vocals to play funk music.
    I need some suggestions for tunes to play.
    Think high fashion, gaudy, sexy, funky stuff, with a strong "lead bass" but relatively easy to play considering time constraints.:smug:
    Super Freak from (god rest his funky self) Rick James came up in my head quickly, so maybe something along those lines...

Thanks for the suggestions in advance,

2. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    More Bounce to the Ounce- Zap Band
    Play that Funky Music- Wild Cherry
  3. Yeah that's the kind of stuff we want. Any more suggestions out there?

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    "For all intents and purposes...";)

"Fun" - Sly and the Family Stone
    "Higher Ground" - Stevie Wonder
    "Low Rider" - War
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Atomic Dog- G. Clinton
    Billy Jean-M. Jackson
  6. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    it really depends on what kind of clothes are being shown, and the mood of the collections.

in my experience of catwalk shows, the music tends to match the designer's vision and aim.

for example, in february i was in a show where the guys clothes and hair was inspired by andy warhol and his factory era type stuff, and the song that played for the catwalk was bowie's andy warhol.

but then again, i have no experience of high school fashion shows.
    remember that music can really affect the mood of a show, and if the music has a really strong beat, the models will tend to walk to that beat as it's the natural thing to do. this may or may not be a good thing.

talk to the designers and models and see what they think.
  7. In regards to the whole "designer and model" thing, keep in mind its a high school event(aka not well run etc. etc.). But nonetheless I will ask some questions to get a feel for the style.

8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    In that case something with alot of time changes perhaps some